Key Largo Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PARADISE HUNTER

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just got back from Key Largo. My wife and I dove with Blue Water Divers 6/13-6/16. The dive op was great. They have a smaller craft and only take up to ten people, one day it was only the two of us on the boat. They are very friendly and I recommend them.

The viz was not the best. Tropical storm Alberto stirred things up before we got there and we only had about 40 foot visability. Still we had a great time. Water temps in the high 70's to low 80's and we dove with 3mils. We dove multiple times on Molasses and French reefs and liked French better. We also dove the Grove, Duane, and Benwood. There was no current on the Grove that day which was contrary to much I have read. Both the Duane and Grove are massive and great dives with more wild life on the Duane. I can't wait to dive them again.

We saw a lot of wild life despite the low viz. Highlights: several nurse sharks, two 500lb+ jewfish, three foot dia turtle, several spotted eels, huge green moray, several rays, huge schools of angel fish, parrot fish, and snapper, lots of snook, tarpin, permit, and big parrot fish. Populations are very healthy.

Well that is about it. Hope this is helpful to anyone going down soon.

Thanks for the report. Any pics?

We just came back from diving Key Largo the end of May. Dove with Capt Slate only because of the shark feed he offered to set up on a Sunday for us as it's usually on Friday only. Boats are a bit old, some of the personnel are not the most congenial and it is trully a cattle run. We had 4 boats rafted with 100 divers for the shark feed at the City of Washington wreck. They let you hold and touch the sharks. Moray's, Baracuda and grouper are suppose to show but only about 7 Nurse sharks 5'-9' showed up. Spent 3 days diving there and the water was like glass, no current, and warm. 2 spotted eagle rays spent about 15 minutes with us on one dive. Got some great video of a huge crab, over a foot, at the anchor dive site. Didn't fit any description in my Reef critter book as he was to big. Saw squid at the Washington with great viz most dives. Key West had a nice wreck dive and the dive outfit was very good. They leave from the Hyatt hotel marina. I would dive with them again.

Because of that feeding, the City of Washington has become a hot bed of larger critter activity.

We dove it three times last year (no shark feedings), but there were always at least three nurse sharks, JewFish, and a host of other marine critters at that wreck.

Glad you enjoyed the trip!

Havent dove the city of wash in years, i never go that north but based on these reports i am about to go in a week.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom