Key Largo Dive Report 5/22/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeepbrew

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey guys. I don't know many of you, but I am slowly learning the names. Anyway, I am from Birmingham, AL and a buddy and I are spending 7 days down here in the keys doing some diving. Today was our first day of diving, so I will give a little report:

First off, the high temp was around 86 and the water temp was around 82 today. We dove with Blue Water Divers and had a good time.

Dive #1 - Key Largo Dry Rocks

We dove the Dry Rocks and saw the Christ of the Deep. While there I also saw many tropical fish, tons of lobsters, a small ray, and I even almost bumped heads with a Nurse Shark. If I had looked up sooner I could have almost touched her. All in all it was a fun dive (always wanted to see the statue) except for my brand new Atomic Frameless mask leaking like a SOB.

Max Depth of 32' and a total bottom time of 61 minutes. Still had air to spare but it was time to move on.

Dive #2 - North Dry Rocks

Pretty much the same kind of dive w/o the statue. The N. Dry Rocks also have a few swim-throughs that were full of little minnows. We got to see some Amberjack and Grouper chasing the minnows around. On this dive I also saw a few lobster and a Barracuda, which was cool.

Max Depth of 22' and a TBT of 55 minutes. I still had 1500 PSI to spare.

All in all it was a good day of diving. It's always fun to spend 2 hours under water. We will be diving with BWD again on Friday when we hit the Spiegel Grove and Benwood.

I do look forward to more challenging dives the next few days. Pics will be posted when I get back home. :mooner:

Ahhhh you lucky SOB'S! Sounds like some nice shallow dives, long bottom times. I just did a day of diving in Daytona area about 2 weeks ago. Was fun but colder and vis wasn't the best. I need another week of warm easy dives.......Let's see those pics!

How was the visibility where you did your dives?

I just got home last night...dove Molasses Reef and French Reef on Thursday and Friday and the viz was only about 35 feet. The warm water made up for it though. :)

Have a GREAT week! Looking forward to more reports....

LuvDaOcean:
How was the visibility where you did your dives?

I just got home last night...dove Molasses Reef and French Reef on Thursday and Friday and the viz was only about 35 feet. The warm water made up for it though. :)

Have a GREAT week! Looking forward to more reports....

Viz was about 40 ft at both places. It was not as great as expected, but it was good enough. Today, however, it was great! A report will be posted shortly.

viz at snapper ledge about 80 feet

I was there last weekend and did the Eagle .... she is a beautiful wreck .... enjoy your week
Kim P

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom