Key Largo Accomodations- Early December

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I almost always end up at the Seafarer's Resort when I'm diving in Key Largo.

I almost always end up at the Seafarer's Resort when I'm diving in Key Largo.
I've wondered about Seafarer's. Looks like it might be a pleasant alternative to the big hotels. (Maybe also with an an outdoor spot to hang up your dive gear?)

Yeah, they are very well set up for divers. It's a pretty quiet and low-key place, with very low foot traffic. Most of the rooms/cottages have private or semi-private patios/decks/tables for hanging your wet stuff. There is an outdoor shower next to the decorative pond. The only real "complaint" I have to say about Seafarer is that I almost always miss their breakfast cuz it starts after I've already left for a morning boat trip.

If you're diving, I recommend getting a room/cottage in the middle or back of the property, away from the highway. It's much quieter, you have more outdoor space, and you're closer to the sweet bayside amenities (hammocks, beach, kayaks).

Holy shnit! trying to find anything in the keys for feb is nutz o_O. been some years since i visited. feels like perhaps centuries when looking at prices....

Holy shnit! trying to find anything in the keys for feb is nutz o_O. been some years since i visited. feels like perhaps centuries when looking at prices....
Yes, lodging in the Keys is crazy expensive, and as for condos almost nothing reasonable at all. I'm within a long drive to the Keys, but because of lodging it is usually cheaper for the 4 of us to fly to Cozumel (or Cancun bag-drag).

yeah, that was our initial plan, but started thinking perhaps the keys would be a better play since this will by my wife's first outing since she got her OW cert. We only have a week, and are traveling from Colorado so some of the caribbean is just to long re flights. Love Coz when I have been there, but not sure about drift dives on her first time out....even though they were my first when I was a kid.

Try staying in Homestead

yeah, that was our initial plan, but started thinking perhaps the keys would be a better play since this will by my wife's first outing since she got her OW cert. We only have a week, and are traveling from Colorado so some of the caribbean is just to long re flights. Love Coz when I have been there, but not sure about drift dives on her first time out....even though they were my first when I was a kid.
If the weather is good I think Key Largo 30 foot reef dives are perfect for a new OW cert diver. They were for me. Throw in the Benwood for her first wreck dive.

If you get blown out drive up to Blue Heron Bridge. Again great for a new OW diver.

I second the recommendation of Captain Jim about staying in Homestead/Florida City. Easy 30 minute drive and very scenic.

The scenic 30 minute drive is nice until it's a 1.5 hour drive because of a crash blocking both directions of the 2 lane road. Which is several times a week..

I stay in Homestead if I'm by myself doing a couple days diving. No way would I take my family there to stay for a whole vaction....

There was an older historic hotel in Key Largo I believe, or perhaps Islamorada that reopened years ago. I stayed there at the suggestion of Conch Republic Dive Shop and loved it. It looked closed the last time I was down there, but that was last year during the time places were shuttered due to covid. I can't remember the name, but it's on the south side of US 1 and the price was good and it was clean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom