Key Lantern Motel and Blue Fin Inn...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tractor Tom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Kids!

My buddy Ted (GTXL1200) and I are planning a week of diving in the Islamorada the middle of May. I have been looking at motels for us to stay in. The obvious place to stay was a bit more expensive than I wanted to pay. However, I have been reading about the Key Lantern Motel & Blue Fin Inn with rooms for around $50 a night.

Have any of you folks stayed at this place? Am I going to hate it for various reasons?

We are really looking for a place to sleep when not diving, and it doesn't need to have a pool or anything, as long as we have a place to park off the highway and can walk to a meal and a drink or two.

Info???

Part two...

I find out that another place called the Sunset Inn, is also availble for around $50 a night and they have a POOL!

Has anyone stayed in this place???

We just got back from the Sunset Inn last weekend. We were directed there because it is slightly nicer than the other two. All are owned by the same people.

It is certainly not fancy to say the least. Very basic but the rooms are big. Old time motel kind of set up. The restaurant is good though and very popular. We stayed in room 118 with the kitchen and the room did not smell good at all. Obviously Non smoking room doesn't register with them. It was bareable but certainly not posh.

My biggest complaint was that our 19" TV went out and when we asked them to replace it the lady at the counter just said...."I'm sorry". I don't know what I can do about it. "I'm sorry" (It was almost scarey. This was only 6 pm on Sunday.

They will let you use the Pool with your gear if you need to get a warm up which most places won't but don't expect much. Its not that nice but it is a pool.

Would I stay there again? Probably not. But the prices in the area have becoming out of control in my opinion for what you get. It's cheaper to go to the caribbean than a weekend in Florida anymore. I have stayed at the Sunset in Key Largo also and liked it much better. If you call them you can sometimes get the $99 per night although we were not able to this year.

I might also add that the trip was with a friend of mine so it was kind of a boys trip. Our needs are much lower than our significant others and I would say this if they were with us...we would have had to find a new place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom