kenya diani beach; diveshop recommendation and general info

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sonar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hey guys,

I will be heading to Kenya, diani beach at the 28th of august for two weeks. It's a family holiday but I will have a few days to go diving somewhere. I cant travel to zanzibar so I am looking for a good shop around diani.

Does anyone have recommendations for a nice shop? Assuming prices won't differ a lot I don't really have specific demands except the availability of nitrox and rental gear.

Perhaps someone comes along without a certificate so discover dives would be nice but not with all the strict padi rules (6m. tanks held by instructor etc.). Some freedom would be nice (nothing crazy/ unsafe though)

How is diving at the beginning of september? pbb the worst period? I have done all my diving at topsites in SE asia; how are the sites compared to that?

thanks in advance

Rik

First let me express bias and interest. I am a p/t IDC Staff Instructor at Buccaneer Diving on the North Coast. So take my posting as coloured by 500+ dives on the North Coast

Hey guys,

I will be heading to Kenya, diani beach at the 28th of august for two weeks. It's a family holiday but I will have a few days to go diving somewhere. I cant travel to zanzibar so I am looking for a good shop around diani. Does anyone have recommendations for a nice shop? Assuming prices won't differ a lot

There are lots of good dive centres on the South Coast. Try Diani Divers, Southern Cross Scubaand Dive the Crab. All fine quality.

I don't really have specific demands except the availability of nitrox and rental gear.

This is where your problem starts. I THINK we are the only dive centre offering Nitrox and we areon the North Coast. So you will be using air rather than nitrox at those dive centres. I think. Worth checking with them

Perhaps someone comes along without a certificate so discover dives would be nice but not with all the strict padi rules (6m. tanks held by instructor etc.). Some freedom would be nice (nothing crazy/ unsafe though)

I don't know why anyone would take anyone without a certificate of some sort. I'm not sure I understand your point? We are pretty strict about safety, and taking someone beyond their level of training may be considered dangerous and invalidate the insurance of a dive school don't you think? One man's freedom could be another man's crazy and unsafe. If you want to PM me perhaps I could understand this a bit more. But we check levels of training before we take people to our sites.

How is diving at the beginning of september? pbb the worst period? I have done all my diving at topsites in SE asia; how are the sites compared to that?

thanks in advance

Rik

You should be coming out of the rough season by then... so diving is much nicer. Visability can vary, and I imagine it is very different to SE Asia. But different in lots of good ways.

Again I can't say much about Scoast diving but you can see photos at the Buccaneer Diving Facebook Group of North Coast Dive Sites

thx simon.

reading back I think I wasnt clear about the discover dive..

Regarding the safety of a discover dive Ive seen a few different approaches. Some instructors held the tank all the way and woudnt let the diver swim free even though the water was clear, no currents, 10m depth, no danger from or for the coral. While other instructors let a discover diver swim free all the way and just kept an eye on them. The diver could even go to 15m alone with a (mild) current and a 1:4 dm/diver ratio.. (ridicilous)

I am basically looking for an instructor that takes the discover diver to a safe and easy location and lets him swim free once he feels the diver is comfortable. Of course staying close and not too deep, preferable as buddies while I tag along (100+ dives). My dad (the possible discover diver) has done a discover dive before, was totally relaxed but hasnt found time yet to do his OW. He'd love to dive again but not like a little girl

what's the normal price for an air dive btw? How much time it takes to most sites?

too bad about the nitrox :depressed:

looking forward to this trip like crazy

I'm sure you'll find some nice safe and well run DSDs down the south coast. The rules say the instructor should stay with in a distance able to make physical contact....

From the 2010 Manual...

Supervision
Do not leave participants unattended, either at the surface
or underwater.
• Position yourself so that you or a certified assistant
can make immediate physical contact with, adjust
buoyancy for, and render assistance to, participants.

It doesnt say anything about holding tanks :)

It sounds like your dad should just find the time and get certified...
Do the theory online (most dive schools have a link to e-learning)
Then a couple more pool sessions and two ocean dives and he could at least get his Scuba Diver.. and then top up to OW when he gets the chance.

You would have to ask the dive centres about their individual prices...
Let me know if you're doing anything North Coast :)

ah ok. Thx for looking that up (or being really well trained :) )

If i make it to the northcoast I ll drop by for a dive for sure

thx again

My dad actually wants to get certified but he wasnt capable yet. we live in the netherlands. Nobody wants to learn diving there haha

Just returned.

Dove with "Diving the Crab"

fine organization. Friendly, helpfull staff. Diving was very expensive though (109euro/ 135usd for two dives). Equipment Ok but no shoes so my feet are filled with small wounds from the vins.

The sites are very mediocre though. Not much coral, mainly common fish, saw a turtle and some small baracudas. I woudnt recommend Kenya for a dive trip but if you are there it's nice to make a few dives. Gotta say I am used to worldclass sites (philipinnes, malaysia, thailand)

safari was AWESOME

Glad the Safari was awesome. I can't comment on the dives you did, but I know some of the diving in North Coast is amazing. Some sites have a great diversity of coral... and there's a chance to see Frog Fish, seahorses,

The diving industry is developing here, so some costs are a bit higher... but the dive guides are well trained and the dive sites varied and interesting.

Also, it appears you dived towards the end of the rough season... when the diving is NOT at its best.

Having dived around the world... cold and warm... I would say that Kenyan Diving can rank among the best in the world. Plus there's the chance to see some of the big guys.

I would invite you to see some of the life on our Face Book Page!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom