Recommended activities in August 2023 at Baobab Beach Resort, Diani, Kenya (diving included)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OP
AnaCat

AnaCat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

We will be a group of 10 friends staying for 7 days at Baobab, Diani Beach in Kenya.
I am trying to find activities suited for most of us and I would appreciate any kind of advice you can offer.

1. Diving - we are 7 certified divers (different levels, 1 Rescue, 1 AOW and 5 OW) and probably 2 others that would like to do a Discover Scuba.

How is diving in general in August- I know it’s not the best, but what does that mean ( how many meters for visibility for example)? If we are there anyway what spots would you recommend? What dive centers to use or to avoid? Any particularities we should know about beforehand?
I found Diving the Crab, I like them, but they don't combine diving and snorkeling on the same boat and they don't go to Kisite, where I understand the better spots are.
At Baobab we have Ocean Tribe, but they have few and poor reviews on TripAdvisor.
Do you know of other centers that you would recommend?

2. Snorkeling trips (exploring to see if there are private ones) - any recommendations?

3. What marine life we could observe in August? Anything outstanding?

4. Day trips - are there any day trips you would recommend? Not safari though, we have a full week in Masai Mara, Naivasha and Nakuru before coming to the beach.
I heard of a trip with dhoni boats to a small island in the middle of the ocean for snorkeling followed by lunch on a near island, but heard very mixed impressions (from wonderful to horrible, you cannot snorkel due to the diesel gas smell of the water and overcrowding)
5. Any tips on the rooms? We have Standard Garden View; should we try to change/ upgrade?

Thank you all!
Ana

You are right to be leary of the Dhou snorkeling trips to the marine park. There are highly rated trips that cost quite a bit more than budget trips, but these were booked up when I was there. I highly recommend against a trip on the "Husna". I doubt any of the crew including the captain were over 20. Life jackets were questionable and had to be requested. The motor was smoky and very slow. Safety briefing was almost none existent. The "launch" that shuttled us to the island for lunch was leaking badly, overloaded and had no life jackets. I work on the water and in my opinion it is only a matter of time until there is a very serious incident.
That said, the coral on the reef was in good shape.

I did a couple of dives with Diving the Crab and they were a solid professional organization. Good equipment, boats, briefings etc. The wreck / artificial reef off of Diani Beach is teeming with fish and would be a good dive even in less than stellar viz.

Anyone else been to Diani?
We’re also looking with some trepidation at what the setup would be. Thanks for the Diving the Crab recommendation

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom