Kents Beach, Powell River, anyone dove there yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

99north

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was referred to dive at a place called Kent's Beach in Powell River. Has anyone dove there and if so how was it?
The web page looks good and there's a map of the dives as well. Its a long way to go on speculation so I thought I'd get some input before we made reservations.

Any help or input would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
99north

Did my advanced course night and navigation dives here it was nice having the cottage right next to the water. But unless we did something wrong we found nothing but sandy bottom and never went any deeper then 40 feet. There might be more to the site, the really nice thing about the cottages is that they are in short driving distance from some other great sites such as Mermaid Cove, and the wreck of the Malahat. And the downtown night life of Powell River which.

Cheers
Dave

I wrote a very brief review with maps of Kent's Beach here: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5430190-post5.html.

I was very impressed with the portable (by forklift) outdoor-two shower hot water rinsing station. The cabins are right in front of the ocean. During high tide you probably have to take only ten steps from the from door and you're in the water.

There is free wifi, fully equipped kitchens with pots, pans, cutlery. My cabin was floor heated and there was heating stove if we wanted to be even more toasty. There are pegs all over the place in the cabin and the rinsing station to hang your dripping scuba equipment. There also clotheslines. Overall, it is very comfortable for divers.

And I did go deeper than 40'. I think the deepest I went was 120' and I could have kept going deeper.

Rinsing Station:
34268_438481291340_733631340_6381451_7950993_n.jpg

What was the life like?, lots of fish octo's etc etc?
viz?
Viz is better than in the lower mainland. Tuwanek like. I did see several octo's -- one female guarding eggs about to hatch. Painted greenlings, kelp greenlings, various rockfish, lings, crabs closer to the shore near and in the grass fields. Tons of small nudibranches. A couple of giant ones.

You hit it nice Gabriel. When r2t, Walrus2 and I were there in May of 2008 we had some of the worst vis I've seen on the coast. At Ball Point it was pea soup till 120' but below that was very nice. I would strongly recommend getting out on a boat if at all possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom