Kenting or others

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sounds like you did 3 dives at Hejie (that's the site with the little wreck at about 33m). That's one of my favorite sites in Kenting. A bit difficult to get in and out of, though, isn't it?

Shan Hai sometimes has some really cool marine life in the sand, and is the best site for cuttlefish encounters. Ding Baisha can be fantastic, but can also have deadly currents. (It's rarely dived.) You probably also went to Chu Shui Kou (water outlet) and Ho Hua Yuan (Hobihu Flower Garden). Both are hit-or-miss, depending on luck. The Flower Garden always has beautiful soft corals, though.

I be heard that Dive New World has closed down. I haven't been in touch with my contacts there to confirm that.

Consider Carrie and Tony for next time. They're definitely a level or two higher in competence, knowledge, etc, than the average Kenting instructor/divemaster.

合界 is very very good but getting in and out is very difficult indeed. The "water outlet" is boring with poor viz. My first dive in Kenting was Shan Hai Fishing Port, walked up several flights on a metal stair, another 50m on a sandy path and finally rock until it was safe to swim out. The special local booties with thick sole is a MUST.
I will leave my thin booties at home on my next visit to Republic of China(中華民國).

The FB of DNW is still active and its latest web site only shown courses available.

I don't think I will bother with Kenting unless boat dive is promised and without paying deposit first!

I be heard that Dive New World has closed down. I haven't been in touch with my contacts there to confirm that.
Managed to contact them through FB, it has moved to Hengchun Town.

Shan Hai is a secret treasure. Newer divers ask "where's all the reef? Where are all the colorful fishes?" More experienced divers, with 80 or 90 minute bottom times, can find all sorts of fascinating marine life in the sand, on the rocks, out in the open … but it's also possible to have a tot ally boring dive there. Depends on season, recent weather, and just plain old luck. But it's a favorite site among the crowd who have logged over a thousand dives or so.

He Jie is usually pretty good, and has the best hard corals of the shore dive sites. Conditions can be bad in late summer/autumn/early winter. But it's often quite heavenly in early winter/spring. Ding Baisha is dangerous, but I go there …

There are some good pinnacles in the bay to do as boat dives. Da Lao Gu, Xiao Lao Gu, Dulijiao, and others are good boat dives comparable to Green Island or a lot of Philippines places. Definitely worth checking out.

There are some good pinnacles in the bay to do as boat dives. Da Lao Gu, Xiao Lao Gu, Dulijiao, and others are good boat dives comparable to Green Island or a lot of Philippines places. Definitely worth checking out.
The problem is finding a dive boat.
There were a lot of OW/DS students but I was the only certified diver there in the shop. The dive guide did ask around but came back with nothing.
I have the same issue in Green Island and XLQ ie not enough certified divers to justify a boat trip. I can see the same problem in Lanyu next yr.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom