Kent Tooling primary reel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vixtor

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have received today my reel from Kent Tooling Diving Products - DIVING PRODUCTS AND ACCESSORIES MADE FROM 316 STAINLESS STEEL . There aren't many pictures of it on the internet - even the ones on the website aren't clear enough.

I was reading in a review that the reel is "For those of you who enjoy the satisfaction of owning something that comes from the Stephenson or Brunel schools of design, this ratchet-reel is a marvel of traditional stainless-steel engineering" (The reel test - Divernet). It is hard for me to explain how solid it feels in reality. I totally agree with the fact that you might bend a tank if you drop it over the reel.

I haven't put it yet in the water, but during all my tests on land it worked perfectly. I will probably replace the line with thicker one (for better resistance inside wrecks). The ratchet mechanism is very easy to operate with any type of gloves.

The reel arrived together with two sets of spare screws and autoblocking nuts.

photo-1.jpgphoto3-1.jpgphoto2-1.jpgphoto4-1.jpg

Good looking piece of gear. I'd replace the metal to metal connection on the bolt snap with some line, though.

Good looking piece of gear. I'd replace the metal to metal connection on the bolt snap with some line, though.

Why would you replace that metal to metal connection with line?
(please keep in mind that the reel is really heavy, being 100% steel - I think it is something like 1-2kg so it would be a tough task for some line).

YMK but IJS The idea for a "soft link" is so you could part it should trouble arise from a snag.
That reel is a piece of art!
See you topside! John

A reel like that... metal to metal is fine, 'cos they can pry it from my cold dead hands :blessing:

The main thing against metal to metal in this instance is if the reel gets entangled and you cannot undo the clip, you cannot cut away. Normally to solve this issue you tie snaps on with cave line or use a breakaway of some sort - giving you a point to quickly snap or cut away.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom