KelpFest 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kelplady

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
If you are a seasoned diver and would like to share what you remember from the good old days, we are looking for people to tell stories at an upcoming event in Laguna Beach, CA. KelpFest 2010 will be held on April 24th, 2010 and will celebrate kelp and its return to Laguna after beinf gone for more than 20 years. Thusands of volunteers from the Orange County Kelp Restoration Project have worked to grow and plant kelp as well as remove the peky urchins that love eating it!

If you would like to be part of this event and share your stories with people who want to know how it used to be, please contact me.

Thank you

Sam Miller would be your man.

If you are a seasoned diver and would like to share what you remember from the good old days, we are looking for people to tell stories at an upcoming event in Laguna Beach, CA. KelpFest 2010 will be held on April 24th, 2010 and will celebrate kelp and its return to Laguna after beinf gone for more than 20 years. Thusands of volunteers from the Orange County Kelp Restoration Project have worked to grow and plant kelp as well as remove the peky urchins that love eating it!

If you would like to be part of this event and share your stories with people who want to know how it used to be, please contact me.

Thank you

Sounds like fun. I grew up diving Laguna in the late 1960s and 1970s. The kelp off Oak Street used to be so thick we'd have to reserve an additional 500psi to get back under it to the beach. If we were having such a good time we forgot, then it was a hour-long kelp crawl over the top. My father (age 87) remembers the kelp bed being a half-mile wide and covering the distance between Brooks Street and Cheney's Point back in the 1930s.

I got recertified at Shaws Cove, about 1991 or so. I hadn't dove in years and I was with a guy I worked with who was certified who said I oughta get recertified. So we pulled in Laguna Sea Sports and next thing I know, I'd signed up. Easy class (except for carrying the equipment down to the beach and back). Damned good class too, because not only did we get to learn proper surf entry, one of our fellow student's father was in the cove with his boat. So we got to practice getting on and off the boat in some nice sized swells. Instructor's name was Lance something. Ex Navy diver.
So a few days later, I was certified, and me and my friend were celebrating in the Marine Room Tavern downtown Laguna Beach. We were drinking a couple brews when the local news came on.
They showed a story about somebody catching a 15' Great White off Laguna beach. They said it was caught just outside Shaws Cove, right about the same time we were out there.
Falls under things that make you say, "HMMMM". "Bartender, give us a couple double shots of tequila please...".
Well we WERE going to dive Shaws Cove the very next morning, but my friend, being the land locked lubber he is, didn't even want to get his feet wet after he saw that story.

I'd like to go back out there some time. Loved those Garibaldis. Wife loved the shopping. Friend loved the tequila.

Back
Top Bottom