Kelp Dives in Monterey or a boat?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hey Y'all,

Looking to do a dive next month and need some info. I really want to experience a kelp forest and hopefully Monterey will be a good spot to do it.

1) How is the visibility in at this time of the year?

2) What spots should I dive?

3) Are there any good boat dives or should I just do a shore dive?

4) Recommendation on a dive shop.

5) Am I over looking other cities?

It really depends on what you are looking for and what the weather is like. It also depends on when you dive. If you are diving mid week, you are shore diving.
The boats mostly run on weekends. Beachopper II runs on Friday, sometimes a mid week.

Visibility this year in general has been pretty good.

You have quite a lot of choices for shoredives. I would recommend that someone coming in that has a day to dive midweek, try and go to Point Lobos.

5) Am I over looking other cities?

Are you coming to California specifically to dive? If you want to experience a kelp forest, and aren't limited to Northern California, then I highly recommend going to the Channel Islands. I love Monterey diving, but conditions are very hit or miss, especially once you get into spring with the algae blooms. Last April, for example, we had 4 ft. vis for a while.

The Channel Islands are a chain of national park islands off the coast of Southern California, which are well regarded as world-class dive locations. Each island has quite different topography and life, and there are a lot of boat trips that head out there, leaving from Ventura and Long Beach (LA) harbors. Catalina Island is the only populated island, and you can take a ferry there, stay in a hotel, shore or boat dive during the day, then wine and dine in the evening if that's your style. Catalina generally has the best visibility of all the islands as well.

Here's a few boat schedules:
Truth Aquatics Schedule and Rates
CALBOAT DIVING CALENDAR

Catalina Island dive park:
Catalina Island Diving

In Northern California, Monterey/Carmel is by far your best bet.

Kelp dive and boat are not mutually exclusive. The commercial boats dive the kelp and also dive the structure outside the kelp beds. I've got my own boat, and I usually dive outside the kelp. Beach dives will almost always be kelp dives (the kelp beds go to about 60' deep).

Do read the two links that begin "Information" at Ba_diving Website - Information about Northern California diving

USUALLY the vis is still OK in April. It is the coldest water of the year (44-46F).

Pt. Lobos is the must-do dive.

I use Aquarius Dive Shop on Del Monte (different ownership than Aquarius II at the Breakwater), but I each of the Monterey shops has their fans. You can hire a guide from any of them, but plan that ahead.

Another recommendation for Pt. Lobos, especially during the week. Very convenient, logistically, to get geared up, easy entry/exit, rinse water for your gear before throwing it in your car and restrooms. You are just a short kick out to spectacular underwater relief with plenty of kelp and abundant marine life. You can call one of the dive shops for conditions report or check the thread here on Monterey Diving Conditions to get an idea but keep in mind that conditions can change dramaticaly from one day to the next. I would also inquire about a guide from one of the local shops depending on your experience unless you know someone that regularly dives here. Have fun and give us a post dive report if you so inclined.

Seven Seas Scuba takes tours there regularly. They do a great job and I should know. I'm one of the tour guides. :)

-Adrian

Back
Top Bottom