Keeping things dry at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kirk Bauer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a desire to bring some supplies on scuba dives that need to stay dry. This can fit in about half of a gallon zip lock bag. I have tried a few simple methods to keep these items dry using some pretty serious zip lock bags and minimizing the air inside but no luck. Three different very sturdy ziplock bags all let water in even at only 50 feet.

I know about dry sacks but I don’t think they are intended to work at depth either.

Any suggestions on how I can keep something dry at depth? I’m also looking for suggestions on how to carry this. I have been using a leg pouch but it doesn’t stay in place very well. I obviouslty won’t be using these items underwater so accessibility isn’t an issue. I have thought about just hooking the leg pouch to the back of my BCD.

If your not using these items during the dive, then I suggest you don’t carry them.

A lot of discussion about this over in the Bonaire forum, because it’s all shore diving there. Also search for the discussions on Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) canisters. A canister of some type is the way to go.

A lot of discussion about this over in the Bonaire forum, because it’s all shore diving there. Also search for the discussions on Personal Locator Beacon (PLB) canisters. A canister of some type is the way to go.
Where is the Bonaire forum?

I have a desire to bring some supplies on scuba dives that need to stay dry. This can fit in about half of a gallon zip lock bag. I have tried a few simple methods to keep these items dry using some pretty serious zip lock bags and minimizing the air inside but no luck. Three different very sturdy ziplock bags all let water in even at only 50 feet.

I know about dry sacks but I don’t think they are intended to work at depth either.

Any suggestions on how I can keep something dry at depth? I’m also looking for suggestions on how to carry this. I have been using a leg pouch but it doesn’t stay in place very well. I obviouslty won’t be using these items underwater so accessibility isn’t an issue. I have thought about just hooking the leg pouch to the back of my BCD.
what are the "supplies"?
Are they hard or soft? Old light or camera housings are the most common type of dry container but they only work if the item fits so knowing what you are trying to carry is important

An old 8mm Ikelite video housing might work. Remove the front port and permanently seal it.
Remove the ctrols and use a tapered rthreaded screw to seal them,

It's nice because certain models are clear so you can see leaks.

If you can still find one, the old Quest housings could be similarly configured and since they used electro-magnetic controls you could just leave that in place. I saw one once where the owner sheared off the entire front port and replaced it with a thick piece of plex,

Look on eBay for either. The Quest housings are all vintage 80's so were for bigger cameras.

A really expensive option would be an Amphibico Evo housing, it's a decent sized aluminum double o-ringed rectangular box.I can get camera, a couple small lights, a padded lens bag with lens and some socks in mine when I fly. It's around $3K new though. Guaranteed to 330'

Maybe a big Otter Box also but they don't guarantee the depth so use your ziplock bag also.

Perhaps you want a darren drum? It's caving/sump diving equipment. Don't forget to insert some lead.

You could also carry minor items inside your drysuit.

A board member asked a machine shop to make an acrylic cylinder. Price was $125 sold to me.

Could ask your local shop. Design one based on the exact size you require.

Attachments

• IMG_20190928_184503.jpg
    IMG_20190928_184503.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 109
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom