Keeping it fresh.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dantheengineer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi all,
I hope this is the correct place to make such an enquiry, also that it hasn't been asked too often before....(a brief search indicates not).

I and some friends are going out on fairly regular charter trips with more frequency as we enter the warmer months. The capt. is basically a colleague from work and has the usual boating, but limited dive specific, kit. Therefore it seemed prudent to acquire an O2 setup for first aid use in the event..........

I'm interested in getting general, "user real" advice on how regularly one should refresh the contents of the tank and if there's regular tests it would be advisable to undertake?(other than the usual for tanks) and any other hints and tips (what sort of %vol to consider refilling etc)

I'm currently assuming that the positive pressure precludes the possibility of contaminant ingress, that O2 has no "use by date" and that to test the unit i turn it on and hear a wooshing sound. Does this sound fair or am i gonna kill someone? (Not literally, you know what i mean :angel2:)

I'm (hopefully) obviously sticking to Manufacturer's guide lines as far as they go, they just dont go very far.

Preemptive thanks:wink:

Any advice welcomed..........

Well, I think what used to be a problem with O2 and older tanks was that they had an inner lining that would prevent rusting, but when the lining flaked off, the tanks would rust really quickly and the 02 content would decrease. But if you buy a newer tank I don't think that will be a problem. I have not heard of anything like an "expiration date" on O2, but i'll ask around. Make sure you have an O2 clean setup though, it would suck to be ready for a problem with a bottle of O2 and then have no reg to breathe from!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom