Keauhou Bay Dive Op?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vanisleboy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Planning a trip to the Big Island this Christmas/ New Years. As the Big Island has so much to see, this time we are hoping to stay in the Kealakekua Bay Area for about a week before spending a couple of days in Puna district, and then heading to the Kohala coast.

Is there a dive op that has boat dives from Keauhou Bay? As my wife and 7 year old aren't scuba divers (Yet), does anyone know of a reputable guide for shore diving? Any advise on diving in the Hilo area would be appreciated as well! TIA!

There is only one dive operator out of Keauhou Bay anymore these days, Sea Paradise. They run a 6 pack boat and a snorkel catamaran. Fairwinds, a large snorkel company, probably also offers dives, but I haven't checked lately. Tim down at South Kona Scuba leads shore dives at the Place of Refuge, there's not a whole lot of guided shore diving going on anymore. If Mara at Mara's Dive is still leading dives (google her), she does a good job at shore dives and possibly dives more spots. A few years back the DLNR basically made the boat operators commit to a single harbor and most of the operators are running out of Honokohau Harbor now.

For Hilo, I think they're down to one dive center, Nautilus. I think they lead shore dives and are probably helpful with info if you want to try shore diving on your own. Phillip at East Hawaii Divers also leads shore dives on the east side.

Have fun,

I was just there and used South Kona Scuba, very cool guys. 2 Step is an awesome spot plus if you get there early you can take your family to the beach with you and park your car basically right on the beach. there are turtles there in waist deep water for them to look at while you dive with Tim or one of his guys. I stayed in the same hotel that Bottom Time Hawaii's shop is in and they hooked me up with one of their instructors as a guide and we did dives at old airport and the 4 mile marker, both of these shore dives were just me and my guide. Saw sharks at 2 Step and got some cool pics of frogfish at Old Kona Airport. I did the Manta dive with Bottom Time at Garden Eel Cove and saw Three Mantas one of whom was Vinny I believe. I then went with Big Island Divers to the Sheraton where 4 Mantas showed one of whom was Big Bertha :D. Lots of good diving people to meet over there you will enjoy it.

Any advise on diving in the Hilo area would be appreciated as well! TIA!

As friscuba said, Nautilus Dive Center in Hilo is your best bet for advice and guided tours on the Hilo side. Bill is the owner/instructor, and is very experienced.

As a FYI: Diving in Hilo is a "hit and miss" proposition because we are on the windward side of the island. This is especially true during the winter. Having said that, you will have days that are simply awesome, with great viz and swarms of turtles at Leleiwi (probably the best shoredive in Hilo). And then a couple days later the trades kick up and viz drops to, well, not so good :wink: So Kona-side is your best bet overall, especially in the winter.

Enjoy your trip!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom