Kayaks and arachnaphobics...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JahJahwarrior

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I've got some friends who are interested in kayaking with me at the lake on campus that rents out kayaks free of charge to students. But, they are arachnaphobic to an extreme, they can't even look at a picture without freaking out. And, after a few minutes in the water, I usually find all sorts of little tiny spiders crawling around in the kayaks, which are sit on tops, but stored outside in a shed.

Scubaboard has NEVER let me down yet....you all have given me great recipes for girls (they loved the food but I can't say they found me as enticing), and even identified random bones I found in the forest. What is a good way to get spiders out of these things? I figured we could roll the kayaks over in the water a few times and that would get most of them off (there are maybe 2-3 I notice when I go out, always harmless little things, but I don't want these girls to hate me or to jump out of their kayak in the middle of the lake...) but then the seat is wet, and they won't be comfortable. So far, my best idea is to get the two of us that aren't arachnophobic to paddle two of the kayaks around for a while to get all the spiders flushed out (they all seem to make their way to your foot area after a while on the water) and then have the other two friends show up, let them take our kayaks and we take the ones they rented. But, I'm worried that if they even know there were spiders in there, they'll freak out. I also considered blindfolding them both, but that makes it a little hard to paddle in a straight line. :)

Is it possible to hose the spiders out of the kayaks, then wipe the seat area out with a towel? Bug spray as a back up?

I have an irrational fear of the little beasties myself. Ugh.

I've thought of kayaking in the past, but spiders are one the main reasons I haven't pursued it. I'll be watching this thread for suggestions...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom