Kayak for diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Does anybody know a good source for a sea kayak that I could dive from. The buoys are looking tempting, but $20k for transportation to them seems a little high. Is there a kayak exchange that anybody knows about? Also, does anyone have experience with the inflatables?

Thanks,
Jamie

I use Paddling net when i buy or sell kayaks, plenty of others out there, but not so hot as this site. My roommate has two ocean drifter kayaks, not selling, but he seems to enjoy them - hoping to take them out to Venice one day. :wink:

I have a couple of the Cobra Explorers and have been very happy with them. One was on sale for $300 the other for $400 at Diver's Direct. It was the last of the Explorers. I understand they were getting rid of them because they are focusing more on diving as opposed to all around water sports. One has two storage compartments and the other has none. I highly recommend one with storage hatches.

If I hadn't bought them there, I saw a couple of the Ocean Kayaks at Outdoor World that looked good. They had the Scrambler and the Frenzy. The Frenzy looked small but may work fine.

I have found the kayaks to be a small investment, with lots of little things to buy and customize, but they are a lot of fun and still very cheap compared to boating (or even diving!) They allow me to dive the third. A lot of info is available at http://www.kayakdiver.com/kayakdiving/topics.htm. Mike Jacobs could give you a lot of info on Diveyaks if you are interested in that. I almost went for one of those at one point.

nate

algal bloom:
Mike Jacobs could give you a lot of info on Diveyaks if you are interested in that. I almost went for one of those at one point.
What was that club that ran out of Ft Lauderdale or thereabouts that was all about diveyaking?

Hey there I have a couple of ocean kayak drifters that i am not going to sell but if you wanted to go diving sometime and try one out let me know.

theone, I'm in Deerfield Beach. Where are you?

Thanks everybody. Keep 'em coming.

I'm in orlando but I dive on both the east and west coast, I doing a charter this saturday out of jupiter then I'm in new england for a week, so if you wanted to go diving the soonest I could go would be in two weeks.

PM sent

The club in Ft. Lauderdale was Kayuba but their website, for some reason, is gone, sooooo......I don't know if the group still exists.

I use a Cobra Fish/Dive Kayak & I love it. It has plenty of room to store gear & is very stable. Check out www.cobrakayaks.com & you'll be able to locate a dealer near you.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom