Kayak diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm planning on flopping off the kayak with fins and mask on, pulling off tank and inflated BCD,
getting into BCD on surface, doing a buddy check and away we go. With help from my dive buddy, I'm
also hoping I can flop the tank and BCD back on the back of the Kayak. I also plan on practicing in my
pool.

Here is a WAAYY BETTER way..... Get a Brownies Kayak hose kit. Figure your best attachment point in your Kayak, and leave the tank on the kayak during the dive....The Kayak will have a big dive flag on it, and you will be towing it....they are very low drag, really less than many bc's. "You don't need no Stinking BC" for Kayak diving in 20 to 30 foot deep areas, because the wet suit does not need much bouyancy compensation this shallow.

This kind of diving has much better freedom ( without a tank on your back) and is very comfortable....without the gear hassle of getting tank and bc on while sitting on a kayak, the whole process is much easier.

Brownies is about to release an audio alarm that will sound when you are down to 700 psi, but on a 20 to 25 foot deep dive, you really should not have any issues even if you did run OOA....just exhale slowly and surface, no stop needed or wanted.

I took a kayak dive class years ago and was surprised how stable they were. (I spent some time ocean kayaking when I was in college and spent a lot of time swimming with those earlier kayaks.) I didn't get one, though, 'cause I wasn't comfortable paddling in my dry suit.

In CA you can just tie off the kayak to the kelp, BTW.

In CA you can just tie off the kayak to the kelp, BTW.
Yeah, cause kelp never breaks, nor does it come loose from it's hold fast, and the hold fasts are always solidly mounted to rocks.

40260d1189805651-anchoring-kayak-kelp-floating-rocks.jpg

There are a few problems with this video, most having to do with the equipment not being secured properly. Everything should be secured at all times including the paddle. Once he removed the tank from the well it was not secured to anything until he attached it to the reg and hooked it to the back plate. A better way would be to have the tank, BCD and reg all hooked up together before leaving the beach, then when you are ready to get in the water, turn on the air, inflate the BCD and have it tethered to the kayak when you put it over the side. Once you are in the water you get into your equipment and then release the tether. When you are done you just do the same thing in reverse. The kayak was also not secured to the diver or anchored in any way that I could see. I have an anchor but rarely use it as I prefer to do this surface supplied and take the kayak with me as I dive.

Yeah, cause kelp never breaks, nor does it come loose from it's hold fast, and the hold fasts are always solidly mounted to rocks.

True...like any boat you wanna check how your anchor is set...even if that anchor is kelp.

True...like any boat you wanna check how your anchor is set...even if that anchor is kelp.

Since I prefer to return to my anchor, lets say it is kelp, how do I know which kelp stalks I am anchored to? Yes I can run line, and often carry a reel, but many times I can refind the anchor line just by diving around a pinnacle noting the depth upon departing the anchor. Sometimes the anchor line can even be found on ascent, which is mostly going to depend on vis.

Depending on where you are diving, a surface swim is not the safest thing to be doing in the Landlords territory.

Can't tell the (kelp) forest from the trees, eh?

Kidding asside, you do raise valid concerns.

My kayak diving experience is limited, and was done on good days, in fairly sheltered sites. Tieing off to kelp was included/recommended in the class I took, but I agree it's not applicable in all conditions.

Can't tell the (kelp) forest from the trees, eh?

Kidding asside, you do raise valid concerns.

My kayak diving experience is limited, and was done on good days, in fairly sheltered sites. Tieing off to kelp was included/recommended in the class I took, but I agree it's not applicable in all conditions.

I would not used surface supplied air in the kelp..... I would be anchoring the kayak for a kelp dive..and using an anchor :)

Tying off to kelp is very common for freedivers. They make clips just for the purpose. The difference is you can see your kayak (Or abalone tube) every couple of minutes as you are back on the surface. If the current or anything changes you can easily swim the short distance back to it.

The key is to be a thinking diver. What if? Make sure you always have the proper safety gear, SMB, whistle, mirror, PLB or DSC equipped radio, etc. If the current is running strong scrub the dive, and enjoy kayaking.

Everything topside on the kayak needs to be clipped off. If you store dive gear outside the kayak then rig something up. The BC needs to be strapped down and leashed. Makes it safer when donning and doffing as often it is easier to do with the wing partially deflated.

Back
Top Bottom