Kayak Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Scupper Pro TW as far as I know is discontinued. Fast is relative but I have plain, flat, outrun Hobies in my Scupper Pro TW, left them in the dust and can run in shallower water, do not weed up, can launch through surf and have run out as far as four or five miles from my starting point. I have a rudder system , it helps a bunch.

It is true most people do not even know you can dive from a yak, does not matter to me what they think or know or not know, they are a fine and very capable platform greatly expanding the range of the shore/beach diver allowing direct access most of the time straight from the beach sites which from a powered vessel would require launching at a ramp many miles away. But I am fortunate to have a kayak, a 14 foot inflatable and a hard hull Boston Whaler Outrage and each find there best use. To bad I cannot pack them in a suitcase.

N

The Scupper Pro TW as far as I know is discontinued.
Reborn under a different brand name though.
http://rtmkayaks.com/products/sit-on-top/tempo

Fast is relative but I have plain, flat, outrun Hobies in my Scupper Pro TW, left them in the dust
Hmmm...they must have been really slooow.
Depends which Hobie kayak you are talking about. We have a Scupper Pro which is one of the faster SOT's at 14' and the Hobie Revo goes 1/3 faster. The Revo is the fastest SOT kayak I have ever used
The 16' Islander is even faster with the Turbo Fins.

To bad I cannot pack them in a suitcase.

N

Actually for Monterey diving a scooter is probably one of the best options. Super versatile, and you can use it even if your buddy doesn't have one, by towing your buddies in and out from dive sites. Fits in a vehicle, which also equates to better fuel mileage. Unfortunately a decent rebuilt Sierra is $2,500, but well worth it.
A scooter can be packed in a suit case.
softpackpics_1195_detail.jpg

:D

A scooter is great. I used to have a couple, not as nice as yours but the older Teknas. Yes, they can extend your beach dive range considerably but do not allow you to carry equipment, an extra tank or provide a surface refuge, but, as you know, the right tool for the job and sometimes a scooter is the right tool for sure.

I think the Hobies are like a barge, JMO and nothing more. As far as speed, much like a bicycle, it is the engine as much as anything and I swim upwards of 7 miles a week, pretty good transfer I have found to paddling my yak.

Thanks for info on the Scupper reborn.

N

In my experience the OK big game prowler has been my favorite. The thing is heavy and wide (con) so its slower in the water - BUT ! - its the only kayak that I have used with 2 SCUBA tanks with gear AND my freediving gear along with regular gear (add 6ft, 220lbs for myself as well) - so I get to go lobster diving - then ditch the tanks and go spearing or rod/reeling for anything all in one trip - this kayak has provided excellent stability.....so thats my 2 cents - enjoy shopping

In my experience the OK big game prowler has been my favorite. The thing is heavy and wide (con) so its slower in the water - BUT ! - its the only kayak that I have used with 2 SCUBA tanks with gear AND my freediving gear along with regular gear (add 6ft, 220lbs for myself as well) - so I get to go lobster diving - then ditch the tanks and go spearing or rod/reeling for anything all in one trip - this kayak has provided excellent stability.....so thats my 2 cents - enjoy shopping

I am coming up to RI and the Cape Ann area the last week of July. Can you recommend any good kayak dive sites in those areas?

I am coming up to RI and the Cape Ann area the last week of July. Can you recommend any good kayak dive sites in those areas?

Hmmm, well around cape ann area I would recommend Brace Cove, Salt Island, Thatcher Island or the Chester E Poling wreck (This one is a long paddle however!!)

Hmmm, well around cape ann area I would recommend Brace Cove, Salt Island, Thatcher Island or the Chester E Poling wreck (This one is a long paddle however!!)

What about the Charles S Haight & Edward R Rich wrecks about 1/3 of a mile NNE of Straitsmouth Island? Google Earth shows them both at the same location. Is there a place at Gap Cove where I can park and launch from? Where can I park and launch for the other locations?

I have yet to dive from a kayak, but I have snorkeled with the wife out of our sit on tops. What I did was take 2 PVC pipes 3 inch I think and ziptie em across the boats catamaran style, then dropped anchor. Entry and exiting was much easier cancelling out the tippy factor.

Love this thread, found it in a SB search for kayak diving.

Our history. We are both avid kayak divers, I had a OK Prowler 13 angler, he had a Cobra Fish N Dive. We had to sell them when we moved halfway around the planet (shipping $850 PER YAK). We were looking to replace them with what we had...there are plenty of OKs here but no Cobras. But he is intrigued with the pedal drive, thinking how much more versatile it can be while we are fishing, another thing we enjoy with our kayaks. To have the availability of paddling or pedaling seems pretty cool. I think I'll start my own thread, but wanted to see what y'all thought about Hobies for kayak diving. To note, dive sites are not very far away where we live now, compared to where we moved from.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom