Kayak Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1TexasDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Having a strong passion for both sports (diving & kayaking).I'm looking to combine both.Does anyone do this now? If so,where? I was taught while learning both that I should always have a buddy,so I'm looking for one or more that can and will show me the ropes.

Tanx,
Rick

Can't help you. Don't know anything about it.

Once upon a time, TexDiveGuy owned a diveyak (as he called it). I know he used it a few times to go kayaking and diving. Thus, it can be done. I just don't know anybody who does it.

A group from my dive club do it all the time. I have not really seen them in the water but they sure talk about how great it is to do both.

Having a strong passion for both sports (diving & kayaking).I'm looking to combine both.Does anyone do this now? If so,where? I was taught while learning both that I should always have a buddy,so I'm looking for one or more that can and will show me the ropes.

Tanx,
Rick

Hi Rick,

I have not done any kayak diving in Central Texas. But you can dive with anything, anywhere as long as your dive plan keeps you safe before and after the dive.

I was in California last kayak diving Mission Bay in Southern California. I used a rental kayak, secured my equipment, had a dry storage bag with communications, and an anchor to keep the kayak in place when I completed my dive. I did beach it once too.

Put gear on in water and took off before getting back on kayak and storing my tanks and gear for stability on the kayak. Really nice way to get to some remote spots and great excersize.

Maybe with your interest you should set up a kayak dive locally and see who wants to be involved.

Happy Diving

There is not a lot of information on kayak diving out there. If you search the board here for a little while it will produce a wealth of information though with pictures.

I recall one of the dive magazines doing a article on Dive Kayaking sometime in the past year or so.....I believe it was either Scuba Diving Magazine or Sport Diver.

Aloha! We (my fellow co-workers) do a good bit of kayak diving in the ocean over here and it is phe-nom-en-al!!! You, your dive buddy and the ocean - dolphins cruising right by to check you out, whales this time of year, etc. It is a pretty amazing experience and quite different from diving from a boat.

For starters, you really have to have good physical upper body strength a) to kayak to the dive site in sometimes fickle ocean conditions, b) to dive the site itself in a safe manner, c) to put your dive gear BACK into the kayak when you are done and then d) to make it safely back to your exit point safe and sound in sometimes fickle ocean conditions.

In addition, it is a much more "up close and personal" type of diving experience because you are so close to the water and its residents. As in a beautiful, majestic humpback whale cruising right by you or an endangered sea turtle popping its head up to say "hello." But you are also much more subject to the ocean as the kayak is a good bit smaller than a regular boat so an increase in wind, a subtle change in ocean conditions, etc. can have a huge and perhaps dangerous impact on your kayak dive.

Finally, you want to have a good emergency plan in place. A good friend of mine got injured while spearfishing/diving off his kayak. Thankfully, he had a buddy (although that was not always the case prior to this!) and his buddy assisted him into the kayak and paddled the both of them to shore against the current and wind. Had he been alone or had the dive buddy not been able to handle the two-person kayak single-handedly, the outcome might have been a bit different. A good plan is key to being successful, as well as people on shore who know your activities and estimated return time and who will be on the lookout for you at the appropriate time.

Hope all this info helps. I am not aware of any website on kayak diving specifically but will ask my dive buddies for more info you might find helpful. Best of luck to you and happy diving!

Cool! Good info! Thanks aascubagirl!

I recall one of the dive magazines doing a article on Dive Kayaking sometime in the past year or so.....I believe it was either Scuba Diving Magazine or Sport Diver.

It was dive training. It was a good article.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom