Kauai Pole-Spear July 2010

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TS

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey All,
I'm heading to Kauai (South-shore... Poipu) from 7/3/10-7/11/10 and I plan to take my 3-pc break-down Ray Odor Pole Spear with me. It's pretty much a brand new spear, as I've only used it twice in So-Cal (only 1 kill), and I plan on going out with just a pair of boardshorts, snorkel gear, a knife, and the spear. Do I need anything else?

I'm very much a newbie to pole-spearing, and I'd appreciate any tips/advice on what to do, where to go, what to shoot at, etc.

Don't assume I know anything, so feel free to elaborate on any so-called "common-sense" stuff.

Thanks!

The locals aren't real keen on scuba divers shooting fish. They believe it's a free dive activity. Just saying....

Sorry I didn't clarify before, but I will actually be freediving during my trip.. Not scuba diving..

yeah well I aint all that keen on alot of things that go on here by "locals" such as shooting monk seals and poaching in protected areas.I scuba hunt when ever I get the chance, Im a little too old to be trying to impress people with how long I can hold my breath. besides, they invented scuba so you wouldnt have to hold your breath.

Black 3000psi ... AMEN BROTHER!!!! Could not have said it better. To each his own!

And the classic post of the day goes to....

Aloha from the other rock!

I wasn't saying not to do it, just saying to keep it in mind. Cars get busted up, stuff like that.

Ok, so maybe I shouldn't have made a Free-diving, pole-spear post on "SCUBA BOARD", but is there anyone out there with real advice they can give on this?

To reiterate, I'm not scuba diving/hunting, I just want to do some mellow spearing out in front of my resort in Poipu... or anywhere else on the island I might go.

I haven't been to Kauai, but on Oahu shooting fish (scuba included) is very popular with locals. Some people (both local & not) feel using tanks is not sporting, but for most divers it's a personal choice and I doubt you'd get bothered for doing it. If you're a beginner you may as well stick with free diving since there's less gear to worry about and IMO it's more fun.

However, there are other things to keep in mind. For one, a lot of reef fish have a strong flavor (especially the herbivores) and either are an acquired taste or need to be prepared in a certain way to be palatable. Some fish are basically not edible. So, it's important to learn your fish and know what to shoot so your catch doesn't go to waste. What will get you dirty looks is if you just swim around blasting everything you see.

If I were you, I'd look up the local fishing supply stores when you get to the island, and ask for some advice, especially regarding what to shoot and how to cook it. They might look at you a little funny at first, but if you have a good attitude and are willing to listen you'll usually get good advice.

If you're new to spearing, it's a good idea to find some piece of rubbish and use it for target practice before trying to hit fish. It'll help ease the learning curve and you'll injure fewer fish in the beginning.

Finally, check the state fishing regs - some fish have size limits & closed seasons, and there are some no-fishing areas:
http://hawaii.gov/dlnr/dar/regulations.html

Good luck.

Also - don't forget your flag.

It's not enforced so much against the recreational snorkelers, but I've seen the DLNR policing free-divers that are killing stuff... and ticketing for lack of flag. It also helps to have a float to attach your take to -- just in case there is a bigger fish that wants an easy meal. :)

Yes, even not counting the tickets the dive flag is much more important for free diving than scuba! Since you're on the surface a lot it's easier to get hit by someone.

If you're traveling the inflatable floats are pretty good.

I've almost run over freedivers with no flags a couple times - in rough water they're really hard to see no matter how careful you are. It's scary to think you could take someone's life with no warning.

Back
Top Bottom