Kauai Niihau

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eventr

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How rigorous is this dive?

Going w/ husband in in 2 weeks. Planning to dive Kona (manta dive and a day trip) and Maui (molokini??)

We had not planned to dive in Kauai. Having second thoughts - - I heard this dive can be spectacular!

If we do this dive I'm wondering if I'm in for trouble. I'm going on the all-day kayak of the Na Pali coast the next day (weather permitting).

The 2 days back-to-back might put an end to my 40+ year old body.

I have 40+ dives and own my own boat (which we took 20 miles out into the Gulf this weekend.) But I was tired!

I'm looking into getting Nitrox cert before I come. But I'm not sure if I can fit it in before I leave...

Thank you for any suggestions!

Aloha :O)

The Niihau trip is definitely spectacular and if you are up for it as an advanced diver, a must! But I will tell you this. I am active scuba instructor who shore dives an average of 2-4 times per day year round. After doing the trip and going to bed at 8:30PM that night, I was EXHAUSTED the next day for work. It definitely took a lot of out of me and I have newfound respect for the crew that does these trips on a daily basis. Hope my perspective is helpful and good luck!

Thanks for your quick reply. You gave me exactly what I need.

I think we need to choose between the dive and the paddle (tragic!)

I realize you are all avid divers, but I hear the paddle is a once in a lifetime trip too. Which way would you go? (We will be diving in Kona and Maui).

How rigorous is this dive?

Going w/ husband in in 2 weeks. Planning to dive Kona (manta dive and a day trip) and Maui (molokini??)

We had not planned to dive in Kauai. Having second thoughts - - I heard this dive can be spectacular!

If we do this dive I'm wondering if I'm in for trouble. I'm going on the all-day kayak of the Na Pali coast the next day (weather permitting).

The 2 days back-to-back might put an end to my 40+ year old body.

I have 40+ dives and own my own boat (which we took 20 miles out into the Gulf this weekend.) But I was tired!

I'm looking into getting Nitrox cert before I come. But I'm not sure if I can fit it in before I leave...

Thank you for any suggestions!

I’ll let you know after July! It is definitely on my must do dive list. I will book the trip as soon as we get there so we can get a better handle on weather conditions. We also hope to get in a NaPali Coast dive as well. I love diving Kauai and just can’t wait to return.
Kona diving is great and the manta dive is world class.

Take pictures and post a trip report when you get back.

Aloha again.

Well, I don't know if I could choose! I think I would lean toward the kayak b/c the Napali Coast is so amazing and being so up close and personal w/the water and the coast line would be pretty cool and dolphin encounters are not uncommon on the kayak trips. But...monk seals and fascinating topography make Niihau pretty unique, too. Sorry!

Well, I guess I should TRY and look at this as a good problem to have (choosing between 2 once-n-a-lifetime activities...)

Thanks for your insight. It was a big help!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom