Katrina call-out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

james croft

Contributor
Reaction score
I will be leaving tomorrow morning with our dive team heading towards the gulf. My department is sending our dive team and approx. 60 officers and 30 boats from Virginia. Sounds pretty challenging. Actually hope I won't get to dive as I am worried about contaminated water. We only have aga masks and drysuits.I will not dive in the soup I have been seeing on the television with such gear. We were told to be totally self reliant and not to count on any support when we get there. We are taking a compressor, generators, night vision gear, fuel bladders, etc. We were told much of our job will be patrolling for looters, body recovery and who knows what. On a more sobering note we were told to bring all the ammo we have and our M-4 rifles, body armor and kevlar helmets. We are hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Will let you know what it was like when I get back in 2-3 weeks. Gotta go buy some vienna sausages in hot sauce and some beanie weinies.

Good luck with all that. After the vienna sausages and beanie weenies, we'll know at least one source of the contaminated water.

You're on a dive team and told to bring your rifle, ammo, and body armour?

This is insane.

Anyway, James - you and your team take care. I wish you luck and will thinking of you. I wish there wasn't a cause for you to be posting this and leaving your home. My thoughts for the victims as well.

Beenie weenies! Man you're even braver than I thought!

You'll be fine. Just make sure your shots are up to date.

Good luck

Gary D.

Gary D.:
You'll be fine. Just make sure your shots are up to date.

Good luck

Gary D.
Up to date and well placed! Good luck.

God Bless and keep each and everyone of your team. Thank you for what you are doing.
Butch

Most likely you'll be sleeping in GP(General Purpose) military tenting. Take mosquito netting to put over your bunk. The few hours of sleep a night you get will be the only rest you get. No sense it being ruined by mosquitos.

James:

Good luck, stay safe and our thoughts will be with you.

One word of caution, INSURE THAT NONE OF YOUR PERSONNEL HAVE ANY OPEN WOUNDS EXPOSED THE WATER. We had a volunteer firefighter lost his life from an infection he developed wading around in the Hurricane Ivan flood waters in Western Pennsylvania last year. Please be careful.

I wish our team were heading down. It's frustrating to see so much need on the TV and not be able to help.

Dan

james croft:
I will be leaving tomorrow morning with our dive team heading towards the gulf. My department is sending our dive team and approx. 60 officers and 30 boats from Virginia. Sounds pretty challenging. Actually hope I won't get to dive as I am worried about contaminated water. We only have aga masks and drysuits.I will not dive in the soup I have been seeing on the television with such gear. We were told to be totally self reliant and not to count on any support when we get there. We are taking a compressor, generators, night vision gear, fuel bladders, etc. We were told much of our job will be patrolling for looters, body recovery and who knows what. On a more sobering note we were told to bring all the ammo we have and our M-4 rifles, body armor and kevlar helmets. We are hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Will let you know what it was like when I get back in 2-3 weeks. Gotta go buy some vienna sausages in hot sauce and some beanie weinies.

our prayers are with you & your team we look forward to hearing when you come back safe

No doubt on the Misquito netting but also while I was stationed in Somalia and Cuba. Before we went to sleep we sprayed our misquito netting with bug spray. Also go to Wal-MArt and buy a lot of hand sanitizer, and rubbing alchol to clean any open scratches or wounds you get. God bless and good luck.

Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom