Trip Report Kata Beach, Phuket, Shore Diving Kata Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Main issue of diving in Phuket if the operator does not have their own boat. Even then they also have to cater for everyone so it is quite annoying/disappointing if the boat is full of inexperienced divers.
I have to chose the dive carefully unfortunately the diving operators are all over the island so it is not possible to check everyone for schedule. I will avoid cattle boat, done it once and no more.
The shore dive in Kata makes a suitable alternative if I am staying around the area(Karon and Kata).
There are guides w/o boats who specialize in taking their clients on larger boats or private speedboats and long boats who have similar dive qualifications. They can also often get boat captains on the large boats to drop their groups off at the better locations within sites, while the rest of the boat's divers and students are dropped off nearby. All the main dive operators and their boats, as well as the smaller shops and independent guides are on social media, and post their schedules, so it's very easy to see now who is going where and when.

I always plan ahead before going for a trip rather than leave it at the last minute. And it is not practical to change operator everyday. I hate to bring all my wet equipment back and forth everyday to my room.

I need to have a prepared list of operator/guide first.
The boat/guide could be fully booked on the day.
I would have to contact them by phone as the guides/operators are scattered everywhere. This is the last thing I want to do after a day of diving.

Not a chance.

I always plan ahead before going for a trip rather than leave it at the last minute. And it is not practical to change operator everyday. I hate to bring all my wet equipment back and forth everyday to my room.

I need to have a prepared list of operator/guide first.
The boat/guide could be fully booked on the day.
I would have to contact them by phone as the guides/operators are scattered everywhere. This is the last thing I want to do after a day of diving.

Not a chance.
You're misunderstanding everything I wrote but I'll just leave you to it if you're satisfied with your diving experience.

You're misunderstanding everything I wrote but I'll just leave you to it if you're satisfied with your diving experience.
May be or may be not.
I do not deal with anyone who has not got a shop up front.
Free lance guide? Not a chance. Reputation has no meaning to me.
I have yet to be let down by my way of planning so far. Luck? May be.
Pay no deposit if I can talk my way around it.

May be or may be not.
I do not deal with anyone who has not got a shop up front.
Free lance guide? Not a chance. Reputation has no meaning to me.
I have yet to be let down by my way of planning so far. Luck? May be.
Pay no deposit if I can talk my way around it.
I have never paid any deposits for day trips on party boats or when I'm using a guide who books their group on one...it's never been required. I pay for all my dives at the end of the day or if it's more than one day with the same boat/guide when I'm done diving. Maybe you have been burned before so I can understand your feelings...but believe me, a good local guide is definitely worth it (and can often get you better than public rates) and many do in fact have an association with a few shops. When you just sign up with a boat, you have no idea of the guide you will be assigned or if they will group you with similarly experienced divers. But of course.do.what works best for you...a d definitely check out Kata Reef.

I have been lucky so far without any issue on ever losing a deposit. Touch wood.
I have to travel to dive so have to make all the necessary arrangement before arriving at the destination. As for grouping with other divers, I leave that with the operator. They would have a good idea on my experience and standard after checking my card and log book.
Never ever request anything.
I wouldn't mind to try the Kata shore dive but definitely not any of those day trip ever again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom