Kata Beach Hotels

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave63

New
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are planning a few days of shore diving in Thailand in January. We're restricted to shore diving as she's not too good with boats.
From what I’ve read Kata beach seems to be the place to go. Can anyone recommend any nice hotels close to Kata beach? Maybe one with a dive shop where we can rent all the gear.
Also, any other suggestions for worthwhile shore diving in the area?

Thanks for your help, David

Do a search in this subforum under my username...all the info you need is there. There aren't dive resorts where you stay and rent gear in Kata. Some of the large hotels around phuket have in-house dive shops but not for local diving (except Le Meridian in Karon) but to sell day boat trips. Beyond Kata is a mid-range choice right on Kata Beach (but on the south end and the reef is on the north end). It's just a 15 minute walk to the north end. There is also an expansive Club Med right on the beach and the Ozo a block off the. Each are nice choices as well.

Dave,
There are plenty of nice hotels in Kata Beach. Agoda etc should have enough infos for you to digest.
If you want to rent all the equipment than you should visit all the operators and see what are offering. Trust your owns eyes rather than a random reply from a stranger.

Kata Beach is worth diving if you are there, but I wouldn't make a trip there for it.

How bad is her seasickness? The day boats that go out from Cha Long Pier are huge by dive boat standards and thus relatively stable, although you will be on them for 6-8 hours. Another option if short boat trips are tolerable is Nai Yang which is just south of the Phuket airport. Quoting from one of the dive shops there:

"Most of the dive sites are located between 5 to 20 minutes boat ride. And because they are so close, we will be back by lunch time after a 2-tank dive in the morning."

The day boat out from Phuket is a waste of money and time.
Khao Lak + Khao Sok are far more interesting and rewarding.
Phuket airport is the ONLT attraction for me.

Nov is the beginning of the season for the west coast in the Kingdom and weather is usually unpredictable.

Koh Lipe would be more suitable than Phuket but Nov is just too early.

Kata Beach is worth diving if you are there, but I wouldn't make a trip there for it.

How bad is her seasickness? The day boats that go out from Cha Long Pier are huge by dive boat standards and thus relatively stable, although you will be on them for 6-8 hours. Another option if short boat trips are tolerable is Nai Yang which is just south of the Phuket airport. Quoting from one of the dive shops there:

"Most of the dive sites are located between 5 to 20 minutes boat ride. And because they are so close, we will be back by lunch time after a 2-tank dive in the morning."
Have you ever dived Kata Beach...do you know that January is prime dive season with completely flat 30° water and 15-20 meter visibility? Do you know January is also prime breading season for Mimic Octopus and Pharaoh Cuttlefish at Kata, with sightings of 5-10 per dive. Do you know there are seahorses and frogfish just off the beach at 5-6 meters? None of these, except for cuttlefish are you likely to see on any of the Phuket day boat trips.

LOL.
Waste of money and time to dive around Phuket.
January? Koh Lipe for relative short boat ride, beat Phuket hands down. Use of longtail boat.

Have you ever dived Kata Beach...do you know that January is prime dive season with completely flat 30° water and 15-20 meter visibility? Do you know January is also prime breading season for Mimic Octopus and Pharaoh Cuttlefish at Kata, with sightings of 5-10 per dive. Do you know there are seahorses and frogfish just off the beach at 5-6 meters? None of these, except for cuttlefish are you likely to see on any of the Phuket day boat trips.
I have dived it and thought it was nice, but not worth making a special trip for. I did not know about the Mimic Octopus or Pharaoh Cuttlefish breeding season. That would be worth a couple of extra dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom