Kapitol Reef snorkel for Rescue class?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gypsyjim

I have an alibi
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
This last weekend I was doing the first two of four days of the water portion of my PADI Rescue course. I got very winded, and had trouble regaining control of my breathing. Part of the problem is, of course age: I ain't no puppy any more. Part of it is my martial arts training: you are taught to breathe in through your nose and exhale through the mouth when you are working hard.
This assures maximum oxygen exchange with each breath, and after years it becomes natural any time you begin to exert a lot of effort, but it doesn't work at all well with a scuba mask over your nose! I am attempting to retrain myself quickly to mouth breath only, by biking while deliberately breaking my normal breathing pattern.
I think part of the problem, though is that infernal snorkel! Rebreathing my co2 is not helping (thats why the nose /mouth cycle works in fighting, as it avoids rebreathing as much co2 as possible). I started reading, looking for a snorkel that avoids this problem and have found references to a snorkel by Kapitol Reef.
Has anyone had experience with this snorkel? It is pretty pricey: about double even a top end dry snorkel, but if it really works as advertised it might be worth it.
I am interested in hearing from someone who has experience with this snorkel or a similar snorkel that addresses this problem, not in starting another snorkel vs no snorkel debate.

Last edited:
My boyfriend got me one specifically to use in the mask/fin/snorkel swim of the divemaster course. It really is helpful for going the distance. I also like to wear it when working with students. They know exactly who I am because it is the largest and pinkest snorkel anyone has ever seen. (they do come in other colors)

because it is the largest and pinkest snorkel anyone has ever seen. (they do come in other colors)

Yeah, I'm not sure pink is my color!
Just how big is it? Is it so large that it's not practical for regular scuba diving (too much drag)?
You said that he gave it to you for the surface swim in your DM work,and that it really helped. That helps. I have another thought: could it be used for rescue breathing in a surface tow? Self draining snorkels can't, but this appears like it might work.
Thanks for responding to my question Diane, Jim

Jim, I don't have the Kapitol (and I use a roll up snap-snorkel that only sees the light of day if I have to do an extended surface swim). However, a friend that owns one, insists it gives an almost regulator type breathing experience (compared to a standard wet snorkel), which would seem to help on the endurance swims.

I'm not sure what you mean about using it for rescue breaths during the surface tow (when I did that exercise during Rescue, I didn't use a snorkel at all), unless you're talking about actually breathing the victim through the snorkel, and if that's the case, I'd have a question about getting a good seal to make the breaths functional.

Jim,

The snorkel is pretty big! I can measure it when I get home, but, the diameter is about twice that of my dry snorkel. I don't use it (or any other snorkel) when pleasue diving. I don't think it would be helpful for rescue breathing. It is nice in the pool for working on stamina since you don't rebreathe your CO2.

Diane

Thanks BKP: the snorkel rescue breathing/tow is one of several tows taught in the PADI Rescue diving class. Lack of ability to seal the self draining snorkel is the reason it can't be used. (The lower drain valve allows the breath to escape)
The snorkel tow is suggested for long tows while still giving rescue breathes and it is not my primary reason for inquiring about this snorkel. Just a side issue I thought of as I examined the design online.

Jim,

for working on stamina since you don't rebreathe your CO2.

Diane

THAT is my primary concern.

Size could certainly be a limiting factor for me as I like to carry a snorkel on any boat/ocean diving, or surf entry situations.
I guess I'll just have to see if I can locate one of these snorkels, to see if it's size is prohibitive, otherwise it sounds like just what I'm looking for: long surface work in waves, and hard workouts where I can still maintain good air flow.
Thanks.

Thanks BKP: the snorkel rescue breathing/tow is one of several tows taught in the PADI Rescue diving class. Lack of ability to seal the self draining snorkel is the reason it can't be used. (The lower drain valve allows the breath to escape)
The snorkel tow is suggested for long tows while still giving rescue breathes and it is not my primary reason for inquiring about this snorkel. Just a side issue I thought of as I examined the design online.
Hey Jim... actually, it was the PADI Rescue course I was certed in... Regionally, they decide whether to use the snorkel or Rescue Mask during the tow. I imagine my instructors decided against it (the snorkel), given that so many snorkels are self draining now, and a functional seal isn't possible -- not that I see too many recreational or technical divers carrying rescue masks with them.

Anyway... good luck on the last couple of days in the course.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom