Kaneohe Bay Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Randy8876

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
A friend of mine recently rented a pontoon boat and spent the day cruising K-Bay. So that got me thinking maybe I should try diving there off a rental boat. Does anyone have any experience diving in that area? I know there has been hammerheads spotted there, I'm curious how good of a chance I'd have at seeing one.

Yes, there's a very good reason for having a shark research center there.

I dived in Kaneohe Bay and outside it for a number of years. Once you come off the coral heads, the slopes just drop off to 55'-60'. It's surreal down there - you swim through clouds of sediment and then there's 18" of clearish water above the moonscape bottom. The bottom has big holes - some 4" across that I always thought were mantis shrimp burrows. There are a lot of them in the shallows, so why not the depths? One guy stabbed one that was full 12" long - gorgeous nasty critters that can break the glass in an aquarium.
We went looking for a solid gold Rolex that a Japanese guy dropped - the muck was at least 8' thick before we gave up. The watch is still there...somewhere.
There were huge tigers living offshore - the Shark Task Force dragged in a 16' after someone got eaten, and in the sea caves off Moku Manu, someone claimed to have seen a resident 20'er.
I never saw anything big swimming in the bay itself, but I hit a huge mud cloud one day where something huge coming towards me on the reef slope turned around quickly and left. Interestingly enough, that was my turnaround point as well, and I spent the rest of the day driving the shuttle boat.
I don't know about any shark research center, but there is a UH Marine Biology Center on Coconut Island - the school finally wound up with the whole island instead of sharing it with someone who had an estate there.
During WWII, the base there was a pilot training station and a lot of guys ate it in the bay - off the runways, it's 60' to 75' deep with decades of stuff dumped there - planes included. There must also be miles of scrapped steel cable and riprap so getting entangled in the murk would not be too hard. Someone two feet away wouldn't even know you were in trouble so no one dives there.

wow, you've painted very vibrant picture with your post. Thank you.

I swam about a mile in the bay once looking for some gear I'd lost overboard ... it got shallow a long way from shore and was like walking through muck 2' thick... Never considered diving it ... till Tom's post :wink:

Aloha, Tim

www.scubamazing.com:
where is the shark research center at specifically?
It's part of the University, like Tom said. Specifically, HIMB on Coconut Island.

I've done moku manu, its a pretty awesome dive. I loved doing the caves it had a few "cathedral" moments, saw awesome school of hellars baracuda (not sure if that is spelled correctly) and in the cave, you can usually find a white tip or two sleeping in there, never saw the tiger and glad I didn't. It can be a dangerous area to dive especially if the weather is not cooperating. We were always very particular on the days we dove out there, also if diving moku manu beware of the marines. they like to come out and tell people they might get shot. if you get the chance though, go for it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom