Kaila BCD (AT) Nitrox/Air

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Acrobat

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
In another topic there was a question asked about the Dragon AT and wether it had to be converted for nitrox diving. The answer was that this was for European standards only. I did somewhere on the net read the same thing about the Kaila bcd (it even stated so on the included manual) but i can't find the article anymore.

I live in The Netherlands and planning on buying a Kaila, but do I have (as I live in Europe) to have the bcd converted everytime i change from air to nitrox?? and if so, is there a difference between the 'normal' Kaila and the one with AT?

Acrobat,

As you already know there are different standards in Europe opposed to USA. Maybe someone with better knowledge of EU standards will chime in. In the U.S. it is not required to convert anything whether you are using Nitrox upto 40% or Air. I would be surprised if the EU standards require this cleaning, however I am unsure. Perhaps a call to a local store would be able to clarify this issue. The EU standards will apply to all products whether Mares or other.

Hope this helps.

Zak

Thanks Zak,

I'll try to get hold on someone from Mares at the Dive Fair in The Netherlands next February.
I did ask some of the local stores but i guess they just want to sell, they say they never even heard of such a thing (air/nitrox convertion for bcd's)

Acrobat

Sounds like a plan. I am not surprised they are not aware of a conversion kit for BCD's. I'm not either! :wink:

Best regards,

Acrobat, just as a side note in the event that you do have to have the BCD converted (O-rings changed out for Oxygen safe O-rings). If you do have it converted and it is all Oxygen clean/ safe for use with Nitrox in europe. All you need to do is make sure from then on when you go diving with regular air (21% oxygen) that the dive operation or shop is using "oxygen clean" air to fill the tanks! Often, modern dive operations/ shops that use nitrox a lot have this. Basically, the regular air goes through many filters and is considered safe for use with pure Oxygen for mixing different Nitrox blends.

If you exclusively use this type of "Oxygen clean" air in your tanks (and therefore your BCD) you will never "soil" your Nitrox converted BCD and therefore never need to have it re-converted. This is what happens with my Nitrox cleaned tanks! I can fill them with Oxygen clean air at 21% and not need to have them re-cleaned for safety (which would be $$) before using them with a higher grade Nitrox.

Anyways, it would be a way to go about it in the unfortunate event you have to have the BCD converted...:shakehead:

Hope this helps!

In another topic there was a question asked about the Dragon AT and wether it had to be converted for nitrox diving. The answer was that this was for European standards only. I did somewhere on the net read the same thing about the Kaila bcd (it even stated so on the included manual) but i can't find the article anymore.

I live in The Netherlands and planning on buying a Kaila, but do I have (as I live in Europe) to have the bcd converted everytime i change from air to nitrox?? and if so, is there a difference between the 'normal' Kaila and the one with AT?

Thanks Codman, I'll keep that in mind.

But I keep wondering what will happen if I dive with an "un-converted" bcd. I can't imagine they make a different Kaila BCD for several regions, my guess is they all are manufactured in the same factory?

Well, the Duikvaker (Dutch Dive Fair) is February the 7th, if I get any wiser I'll let you know :)

If you don't go above 40% Nitrox, I'm sure nothing will happen. In America people do it all the time and there aren't any known problems. The only problem for europe might be finding dive shops that will accept to fill your tanks or let you dive! It's a question of liability....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom