K valve vs J valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still have the rod from my 60s era J-Valve. Now, I put the rod to good use for snagging stuff out of the bottom shelf of cabinets that I can't easily reach any more, and for cleaning out the lint vent on our dryer. What a miserable end for such a fine device!

Just saw a j valve being sold by XS Scuba. Nearly fell over when I saw the price.

Why J valves are still available, OSHA regulations.

1. CFRTitle 29Subtitle BChapter XVIIPart 1910Subpart T › Section 1910.424
CFR
prev | next
§ 1910.424 SCUBA diving.
(a) General. Employers engaged in SCUBA diving shall comply with the following requirements, unless otherwise specified.
(b) Limits. SCUBA diving shall not be conducted:
(1) At depths deeper than 130 fsw;
(2) At depths deeper than 100 fsw or outside the no-decompression limits unless a decompression chamber is ready for use;
(3) Against currents exceeding one (1) knot unless line-tended; or
(4) In enclosed or physically confining spaces unless line-tended.
(c) Procedures.
(1) A standby diver shall be available while a diver is in the water.
(2) A diver shall be line-tended from the surface, or accompanied by another diver in the water in continuous visual contact during the diving operations.
(3) A diver shall be stationed at the underwater point of entry when diving is conducted in enclosed or physically confining spaces.
(4) A diver-carried reserve breathing gas supply shall be provided for each diver consisting of:
(i) A manual reserve (J valve); or
(ii) An independent reserve cylinder with a separate regulator or connected to the underwater breathing apparatus.

(5) The valve of the reserve breathing gas supply shall be in the closed position prior to the dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom