K-Valve torque mallet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That asterisk at the beginning of the text you quoted is there for a reason.

I think it's there to keep your asterisk out of trouble... :tease:

Well, I read the CGA manual at my LDS this afternoon... I would have copied it off of the Internet, but you gotta pay something like $1500 a year to be a part of them. Anyway, they put ALL cylinder valve torques at 60 ft-lbs... no mention of maximum, just a torque setting.

I will give you this... you probably know more about tanks than the vast majority of divers. I do not doubt your expertise at all. This is not the first time we have disagreed, and probably won't be the last. :tease: I would probably not even hesitate to accept a tank where you hand tightened the valve... you are quite meticulous in all that you do. ON THE OTHER HAND, I would not want some tank monkey who has little pride in his work to be the one taking that shortcut. But then, that’s why you and I got PSI certified in the first place. We take our craft seriously, even though it's NOT what we do for a living.

So I will retract any intimation that you play fast and loose with the rules... you do, but you are careful and systematic in how you do it. Others may not be so lucky in understanding where to draw that line, and for them I say... GO BY THE MANUFACTURER'S RECCOMENDATIONS. This way, if they blow an O-Ring while on a dive, I will not feel as I have contributed to it, and should not be liable in any case.

Beaten to death, I know. Just happened to find a large paper tag with Sherwood logo and collaring a three year old Sherwood 5000 valve. The tag contained a bunch of data on burst disks and pressures and....at the bottom is a legend which states, "torque valve to 40-50 ft lbs".

Back
Top Bottom