K and J valves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zd_98c

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, well I am into paintball and we recently have switched to compressed air instead of CO2. Anyways we have a K valve scuba tank and a J valve scuba tank. The tanks are not ours I am borrowing them from actually a teacher at our high school and we have a J valve fill station but we would like to get some kind of adapter to go from K to J so that we can fill them at our local firestation. Is there an adapter to go from K to J?
-Appreciate the help!

huh?

The K & J are both yoke valves and use the same fill.

The J is just a valve that has a flip down lever that acts as a 'reserve' at a certain PSI. This was basically for use before pressure gauges. When your air stopped, you flipped down the J lever to use the reserve PSI in the tank. The K-valve doesn't have that reserve lever.

See pics. If you'll notice they both have the same YOKE connection

K Valve
tank_acc02.jpg

J Valve
tank_acc03.jpg

Note, J-vavles sometimes have a different look depending on made them, but they all have a flip down lever of some sorts on one side of the valve. (or another rubber knob on the other side of a single valve that you turn. usually these have a loop in them to connect the 'J' pull rod).

Maybe what you're really asking is about a DIN valve? It has threads on the inside of the valve fitting. see below pic. or maybe a SCBA valve (for fire equipment breathing packs)

DIN valve
va300.jpg

SCBA valve
Image18.gif

As Mike said, K's and J's both fill the same way.

Not positive,but it sure sound to me like what you have is a "Yoke" & "DIN" type valves.
So do a search for these and find a picture that resembles the hook-up part of the valve to determine which one you have.
Also make sure that the tanks are within their hydro-static test dates.
Because otherwise it can be VERY DANGEROUS to fill. When a scuba tank fails they can do massive damage to property and people.In some cases people have died doing that.

Err... Or view those other posts for pics.......
"Slow typer"

Fire Station for air fills?

Dave

Yea that is what I meant, sorry I'm not very educated on this topic. Anyways then is there an adapter to go from DIN to YOKE valve. And yes we did make sure the tanks were up to date on hydrotesting. Anyways the fire station has the DIN except on theirs the threads were on the outside of the valve rather than inside if I remember correct. And thanks for the fast replies!

zd_98c:
Yea that is what I meant, sorry I'm not very educated on this topic. Anyways then is there an adapter to go from DIN to YOKE valve. And yes we did make sure the tanks were up to date on hydrotesting. Anyways the fire station has the DIN except on theirs the threads were on the outside of the valve rather than inside if I remember correct. And thanks for the fast replies!

A SCBA fill adapter and a DIN fill adapter are not the same thing. As you noticed the threads are on the inside of one valve and outside of the other.

A fire station would not be using DIN for filling SCBA tanks unless they just have a DIN fitting with a SCBA adapter on it.

Look at the above pictures and see what valve you have...

Yes they are using standard SCBA fills, you can get a yoke to DIN filler from dive shops, or from several online stores, scubatoys.com would likely be able to provide one.

Yea it looks like it is a SCBA valve, so is there a SCBA to YOKE adapter?

OK clarify this for us, you can fill one of the tanks right? Which one?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom