Jvc Hd-1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vdubmixer

Registered
Reaction score
I bought the JVC HD1 and a Ikelite housing. Just wondering if anyone else has used this camera aor the HD10 for underwater footage. I know scubabob has some footage that is awsome. We were hijacking the FX1 housing thread so I figured I would start a new one.

I split the cost with a friend so it was a deal I couldn't pass up as a second camera.

Scubabob, were you able to white balance with the gates housing? I am going to try to mod my ikelite housing for white balance.

vdubmixer:
I bought the JVC HD1 and a Ikelite housing. Just wondering if anyone else has used this camera aor the HD10 for underwater footage. I know scubabob has some footage that is awsome. We were hijacking the FX1 housing thread so I figured I would start a new one.

I split the cost with a friend so it was a deal I couldn't pass up as a second camera.

Scubabob, were you able to white balance with the gates housing? I am going to try to mod my ikelite housing for white balance.

I am able to manually White Balance with the Gates HD1 housing. I generally use the red filter for any depth below 10-15' (depending on viz and ambient light) and I white balance as often as needed for depth/light changes. Congrats on the purchase. As a side note - I have use the Chroma Noise Filter with VirtualDub on nearly all shots taken with the HD10U.

Thanks :wink: . I can see why you would need the noise filter. I shot some video tonight and there is a little noise is some shots. Overall it looks very nice. I also have an FX1, and the FX1 is definetly overall cleaner. I think the HD1 will make an excellent UW camera. I should recieve my housing tomorrow or Thur. so I hope to have it diving by saturday. I plan on using UK light canons for lighting. I have been testing the light canons on my last few dives and they are great. I think they will look good.

ikelite.jpg

Housing arrived today :eyebrow: :dazzler1: I like it so far. I am impressed with the quality of the housing. We shall see how it does at 60'. I am going to pool test it today and snorkle test tomorrow in 10-15'. Should be able to scuba test it Saturday.

vdubmixer:
Housing arrived today :eyebrow: :dazzler1: I like it so far. I am impressed with the quality of the housing. We shall see how it does at 60'. I am going to pool test it today and snorkle test tomorrow in 10-15'. Should be able to scuba test it Saturday.

Just thought of a few things that I learned when shooting with the HD10U. First, was shutter speed. You can leave this camera in full auto mode and get pretty good results. I preferred leaving the camera in Shutter Priority (I think that's it, I often forget which is which between that and aperature) - Anything below 1/125 sec was to slow, most of my footage was at 1/250. Though - I did get some interesting affects shooting some video at 1/30 and I think 1/15 (I don't think I ever used the clips - but they were interesting to look at. I can't remember, but I believe having the f-stop as closed as possible yields the best results with this camera. Over at dvinfo I read about a potential method for forcing/fixing the aperature with these camera's. I plan on mastering that skill and trying to use U/W for my Coral Sea trip in October. With almost all auto camera's you end up with some shots where the exposure just get's totally blown out during the middle of a shot. Anyways, FWIW..

ScubaBob (still no diving in in 92651 - go away Red Tide..)

Thanks scubabob. I am playing around with the shutter speeds now to see how they look. I had a unfortunate accident with the drill press on Friday. I was making the lighting setup for the housing. I was drilling the handle for one of the light canons and the drill bit got caught in the plastic and my finger tip was stuck in the mix. When I pulled it out my tip was hanging. I broke the bone in the tip of my middle finger ond severed it. Luckily it was sewn back together. I think it is going to be a few weeks before I will be shootin UW. I was on my last hole too.

vdubmixer:
Thanks scubabob. I am playing around with the shutter speeds now to see how they look. I had a unfortunate accident with the drill press on Friday. I was making the lighting setup for the housing. I was drilling the handle for one of the light canons and the drill bit got caught in the plastic and my finger tip was stuck in the mix. When I pulled it out my tip was hanging. I broke the bone in the tip of my middle finger ond severed it. Luckily it was sewn back together. I think it is going to be a few weeks before I will be shootin UW. I was on my last hole too.

Ouch! I don't remember seeing that step in the DIY instructions! (sorry, had to..)
Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope you recover quickly and are able to get back in the water soon! About the settings - It's pretty interesting with the shutter speeds how 1/60th is great for land footage - just way to slow for U/W. YMMV, so I be interested to hear what you find - after a complete and halthy recovery, of course.

Here is my new lighting setup. I got the idea from a thread on here.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

This is how I drillpressed my finger :pity_part

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom