Just turned 73 and.....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OLDCOOT

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just turned 73 and took the dry suit certification course yesterday. I guess I must be getting old since I bught a dry suit to try to stay warmer in the northern quarries. Up till this time I was comfortable in a wet suit, but when the H2O temp. dropped below 50 I didn't dive. Yesterday it was in the mid 40's and I was comfortable. Has to be age making me change. This will extend my diving season.:)

Congrats. We aren't getting any younger so we have to do anything we can to extend our diving opportunities! Of course for me, cold water means a trip to the tropics!

OLDCOOT

The older one becames the more thermal protection one requires and the longer to replace thermal loss after exposure.
Your body will be toasty warm wearing your new dry suit, but any exposed area will suffer...Insure that you have a good well fitting hood, boots and gloves.

I was regularly visiting the warm waters of Baja California hunting stalking and free diving for game fish until I turned 75 ( almost a decade ago.) My wife and two children who also have the title of "Doctor" strongly urged me to stop free diving/spearfishing and only SCUBA..which is considerably less strain on the ole body..I suspect some day after almost 70 years of water activity I will be forced to hang up my equipment.

I would suggest that you go for it as long as possible

Dr.Sam
LACo UW instructor # 11
NAUI UW instructor # 27
PADI UW instructor # 241
and most of the rest of the UW instructor alphabet

Last edited:
Thank you all for the birthday wishes. Dr. Sam, I would think that diving in Baja CA is just a slight bit better than the stone quarries of PA. I'm envious. I do get to spend winters in FL where I do get some better dives in. Ahh, if only I were born rich, so many dive spots, so little money.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom