Just tried my new Zeagle Brigade

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chad Carney:
kabluton,

I'm thrilled you love your new BC!

Here's some facts about your BCs:
Your Brigade and your LTD, for all practical purposes have the same, amost zero, inherent buoyancy.
All the parts that have a little inherent buoyancy are in the vest, and they are the same except for the LTD's lumbar pad, which is neutral.
The only other difference is the bladder, and neither has any inherent buoyancy, unless you have some air in them.

Your buoyancy test has to be done with consistency. Same suit, gear, and water.
The two keys:
1. A 500 psi tank
2. An empty BC. (Suck the air out of it to be sure.)

I'd run one more test, and just for giggles do it with both BCs.

The good news is you will enjoy diving with your LTD much more in the future.

The Brigade will travel to Cozumel much lighter and more compactly, so enjoy your trip!

Chad Carney
Zeagle FL Rep. & TDI/SDI Instructor 250.

Chad,

Thanks for the info. Is this the float at eye level with a normal breath test? The only pool I have access to is only 9 feet deep so I can't simulate a safety stop.

Chad Carney:
The two keys:
1. A 500 psi tank
2. An empty BC. (Suck the air out of it to be sure.)

Chad Carney
Zeagle FL Rep. & TDI/SDI Instructor 250.

OK Chad you really got my attention on #2. Suck the air out?? Never tried it but that would help me with trying to figure out where I am trapping air at. I don't think my problem is with the Brigade, yes it is sweeeettt, but rather my semi dry suit.

crpntr133:
OK Chad you really got my attention on #2. Suck the air out?? Never tried it but that would help me with trying to figure out where I am trapping air at. I don't think my problem is with the Brigade, yes it is sweeeettt, but rather my semi dry suit.

Make sure the BC is empty of water first!!!!

Take your inflator, push the deflate button, and suck the air out of the BC. You will know when it is empty, cause you will no longer be able to suck air.

I start every one of my dives like that, for the record....

Scott

ScottZeagle:

Take your inflator, push the deflate button, and suck the air out of the BC. You will know when it is empty, cause you will no longer be able to suck air.

Scott

Ok, nice idea but....

I dive with the Atomic SS1, if I try that, I get a breath of air. Any way to do that without getting air?

Darin

ScottZeagle:

Scott

Would it be advisable to exhale just a bit to clear the inflator? Am I assuming wrong that you are talking about doing this under water? I have to try this!!
Another good reason to use mouthwash to clean out the inside of your BC. :D
MMMMM, minty fresh

Darin:
Ok, nice idea but....

I dive with the Atomic SS1, if I try that, I get a breath of air. Any way to do that without getting air?

Darin

Yeah, do it before you hook up the inflator hose. Of course, if you are one of those people who drop in the water, inflate your BC on the surface and wait for others, that won't work for you....

crpntr133:
OK Chad you really got my attention on #2. Suck the air out?? Never tried it but that would help me with trying to figure out where I am trapping air at.

This is a common spearfishing or drift diving trick, that allows you to blast headfirst to the bottom immediately. Great for racing to a wreck or reef when there's a wicked current or competitive dive buddy.

An AIR that exhausts out the mouthpiece will require you to disconnect the QD hose and cover the inlet to accomplish this. The Zeagle Octo+ has a separate exhaust so it's a breeze to orally deflate. You can also deflate an Octo+ while breathing on it without removing it from your mouth. (No need deflate further underwater, you're already down.) (?)

kabluton, yeah, it's the same eye level float test. I check my buoyancy on every dive, just by stopping at 10 or 15 feet, and completely deflating my BC. I like to be so light that the air in the exhaust hose needs to be dumped. I wouldn't worry so much about being underweighted, you can always stop at 20 feet or so, or breathe with a low lung volume if you are a tad too light.

Chad

Since equalizing isn't an issue for me, just swallow, I will have to remember this trick.

Great to hear about your Brigade. I have a 'custom' Brigade at SCUBATOYS waiting on my paycheck to go in next week. After that, I'm going to be getting a wetsuit from Larry. I've got a buch of dives catch up on this summer. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom