Just starting out questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

geokr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi to all!

I've made my first steps into underwater videography with a purchase of a Sony SR12 and an Equinox HD6 housing. My previous video experience is pretty limited and if you want to see my kid's graduation....well, you get the picture. I've been using Adobe Premiere Elements 4 and it works ok, easy and does the menus, etc., but it doesn't handle Sony's AVCHD format so I need to make a decision. Actually, two decisions.

I got Vegas Pro 8 core (no DVD Architect) as part of B&H's package but it sure seems like a lot to learn and I don't think it does the menus. Still fooling around with it. Further, my 6 year-old Sony VAIO desktop may be marginally up to handling the task and I'm thinking of getting a new, dual core processor computer. So, my questions are should I stick with easier to use Premiere Elements and upgrade to 7 which does handle the AVCHD format or hit the books and go with the Vegas Pro? Not going to be doing professional productions. Second, I'm looking at a Sony AW series laptop versus a desktop - good idea or stick with a desktop for video work? Sony offers 2.40GHz IntelŽ® Core 2 Duo Processor, 1066MHz Front Side Bus, 3MB - 6MB L2 Cache.

The piggy bank is only so full and then there's the lighting, etc. (Santa - Help me!) Any suggestions would be most welcomed.

Last edited:
If I hear you correctly you want to stay with a PC. If you are really going to put money into a computer and editing software, seriously consider switching over to a Mac and either Final Cut Studio or Final Cut Express. For the money, it will be easier to learn and much more stable.
Steve

Macs are good, too, and I'll look into Final Cut. I also have a 2 year-old Mac Mini but I don't think it will have the horsepower to do HD video - could be wrong. Will check the Final Cut site and see if it's within the minimum requirements for processing with that app.

Thanks.

It sounds like you are definitely looking to stick with a laptop. As Steve mentioned above, a mac with Final Cut is a fantastic option. Since you have a Mac already, it would not be a whole new OS to learn for you, so that is definitely key. If budget is key, check out the new Macbook's. They are very compact and powerful. I have one of the new generation Macbooks, upgraded to 4GB ram, and it works great with FCP. However, if the budget allows for an increase, I would definitely consider going with the Macbook Pro which will give you more power and a larger screen.

Thanks to all for the advice. I looked up the specs on Final Cut Express and the Mini just won't cut it, as expected. So - it's going to mean getting another computer. There's a question in there, too. Is it better to use a periphial Blu Ray burner or get a computer with burning capabilities. Didn't see any Mac laptops with them internally.

Yeah I think I am finally gonna make the leap to Mac. I build all my PC's, but my poor little lap top had to be burried. So I think I am going Mac Pro 15" or 17", they said that will run all the software for editing no problem. Plus no more virus or malware, and I can capture while on vacation, because of how small that thing is. Oh and the new 17" Mac Pro, BATTERY 8 HRS! Thats right 8 hours on one charge.

I will still have my powerhouse pc desktop, with Vegas. But I hear once you go Mac and Final Cut, you won't want to work with anything else.

Well Good luck!

FWIW, I've been using Vegas for about a week now and don't find it difficult at all..... and I've NEVER used an editing program in my life. Now, if I'd just taken good video to edit it with.....

Blu-Ray is not currently supported by Apple but is possible to create on a Mac with Roxio's Toast X Pro ($150). You still need an external firewire Blu-Ray burner (about $350 but those prices should be coming down later this year).

Final Cut Pro is a great editing app and the Studio comes with an excellent selection of apps but don't count out Adobe's Premiere Pro CS4 or the Production Premium CS4, especially if you plan on working with AVCHD footage.

Just getting into U/W video and looking for advice on editing software. Have always used PC but can easily jump into MAC. Looking to purchase the right laptop for editing and the software. Have no experience with video editing...but willing to learn!

My equipment: Sony HVR-V1U in an Amphibico Endevour Housing and twin Green Force 250HID floods.

It sounds as thought MAC w/Final Cut is the best option.

Safe Diving,
Wil

Wil, going Mac is definitely a great option. I made the jump a couple of years ago, and never look back!! If you want to do it right the first time, go for a Macbook Pro, and FCP. Cant go wrong with that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom