Just serviced my regs for the first time! :-)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

davros

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi all.

I would like to thank all contributors on the DIY forum for spending the time over the years to compile such a great resource, as this forum is.

I needed to get both sets of my regs serviced.... SP g250's and MK20's. I felt that they never breathed as well after I moved, and started using a different guy to service them. This has been going on for the past 3 services or so. Last service (3 years ago), the yoke nut on one of the regs was all marred up. I asked what had happened to it, and was told that that was normal servicing wear and tear.
Anyway, I bit the bullet and bought some gear from scubatools, and also bought a few bits and pieces off ebay. All up I spent $225.00. I bought the SP specific tools, as well as a yoke socket, lube etc, and I bought a pressure gauge, some fittings, and a magnhelic off ebay. On reflection, I could have easily got away without the magnhelic, but it is fun to use. :D I already own a 125watt ultrasonic cleaner, but I think that is a luxury really.

I just serviced both sets today, and I must say, that these are back to being the best breathing regs that I have ever owned. I didn't screw up the yoke nuts either!!!!

The sense of satisfaction is great, and knowing that my regs have been cleaned to perfection, lubed properly, and adjusted to suit my needs, is really gratifying.

Thanks again all for the assistance. :D

From what I have seen, the mared yoke nuts come from the monkey using a large adjustable wrench rather than a yoke nut socket. When the wrench slips, it removes chrome and rounds the corners.

I just recently did the same but with Zeagle Flatheads. I learned quite a bit. Especially how specific o-rings are. After I got done rebuilding them, the IP was going through the roof. Turns out that there is one o-ring that is almost the size of an HP port o-ring but harder compound. This o-ring goes on the HP balance plug and I substituted the HP plug o-ring in its place. This caused a leak.

Gotta say thanks to the guys at zeagleexpress.com who walked me through it over the phone and almost immediately knew what was wrong.

It is definitely a great feeling to be able to repair your own stuff and take out some of the "black magic" surrounding dive gear (or anything else for that matter)

Congrats!

Careful though, now that you're doing them yourself, you'll start to see all sorts of new and neat tools to add to the collection. :D

From what I have seen, the mared yoke nuts come from the monkey using a large adjustable wrench rather than a yoke nut socket. When the wrench slips, it removes chrome and rounds the corners.

Dude, they call them adjustable spanners down under. :D

Congrats!

Careful though, now that you're doing them yourself, you'll start to see all sorts of new and neat tools to add to the collection. :D

And, with the great bargains around in used regulators that you can service yourself, it is likely to cost a good bit more than you thought. But it's still well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom