Just say NO to conditioner

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought you might be refering to the adverts we're getting over here in the UK at the moment, featuring freediving 'babe' Megan Heiney-Wotsit .... She's flogging shampoo or conditioner or something

..until I read an article about it somewhere. You're probably right, though, as far as the toxicity is concerned. It seemed like I read that in Cozumel they were pushing (or perhaps now requiring) using sun block that breaks down quicker and were considering (or already have) setting limits on the SPF rating that you can use in the water in the marine parks. I have been diving off of Palancar and have seen slicks of sunscreen coming off other divers as they enter the water. You can imagine all the divers that get into that water in one day. I could see sunscreen adding up like that, although, like you, it never occured to me until I read the article about it. It's been awhile since I read it so I'm a little rusty on the details, but I'll see if I can track down the article or where ever I read it and see if I can't post it or at least cite it here on the board. It was most likely from one of my dive mags like Rodales or Alert Diver, but it may have come from a news article I found online.

Again, I know it's off topic but I just thought I would throw it out there... a little food for thought.

I've heard that the huge amount of sunscreen coming off people's bodies is greatly affecting the marine life. They were recommending the use of special sun care products that break down much faster in the water. I've seen the stuff at my LDS but I don't think it comes in high SPF.

That issue with sunscreen had never occurred to me either, but I prefer wearing a dive skin anyway. It's faster to put on a dive skin than putting on sunscreen. Another advantage is that a dive skin makes it easier to put your wetsuit on. Not only that, but sunscreen won't protect you from jellyfish, lycra will. It may not be as stylish in warm water as a bikini, but it's practical.

I'll run home tonight and put some in my pet rabbits eyes as a control, and in my fishes eyes, just to see if there are any different or harmfull reactions.

You have a point!! I will think twice( and more) before I load my hair up with conditioner and then go for a dive or snorkel. I have since stopped wearing sunscreen about 3 yrs ago when planning a dive because of oil slick/spf slick. Didn't think it was good for the fishies and reefs then, still don't . Especially in high dive impact areas like Coz. This is a very timely thought for me, as I am leaving for Coz in about 3 days.
Hmmmm...conditioner huh?....good point Nkw5! Thanks!

ever tried Rash Guards instead of Sunscreen?

it works very well and is environment friendlier. for the head, us a wide brimmed hat with net on top for heat vent.

Hi there,

I have been hearing more and more about this and think it should probably be a concern. As divers, I just hate to think what we could be NOT seeing underwater in a few years. sigh.... I know at Xel-ha (riviera maya) where we like to take our kids, they won't let you wear normal sunscreen. Here is what we have been using. Just in case any one is interested.

http://www.cpskincare.com/

This is a post I found elsewhere, Haven't checked it out yet, but gave some more info.... Hope it helps!

"We use Nature's Gate brand which is available at our local Lowe's Foods (grocery store) here in NC.

Caribbean Pacific brand is the exclusive brand sold at both Xel-Ha and Xcaret. It is also sold at many of the resorts in Mexico and other places throughout the world. It has been written up in the National Geographic Traveler magazine, Sport Diver magazine, and the Miami Herald newspaper.

Other biodegradable brands are Kiss My Face, All Terrain, Tan In A Tank, Australian Gold, SmartShield and Elta. "

Back
Top Bottom