Just picked up a load of old gear...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aigtbootbp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Including 4 tanks, all USD, three of them steel (oldest dated 1959) not to mention two horse collar BCD.
The tanks are going in for hydro this weekend and the collar etc. will be in for a throrough cleaning. I think I can put together an entire retro outfit here, none of the gear made after the mid 70s.
This ought to be fun!

Oh yeah, three backplates, two metal, one plastic and two of the tanks have J-valves.

The tanks, BPs and valves should be fine. The BCs are a different matter. Some of the old ones held up well but the bladders in the USD HCs rarely make it, they get hard and crack. You need a good double hose reg to go with the tanks and Bps.

Yeah, I have been eyeballing those steel tanks wondering how hard it would be to set them up as a double. Heck, I still have my ancient (early 70s) Oporto mask that I bought in my early teens that would match up very nicely.
Oh, another fun item I forgot to add, a pneumatic spear gun too.
I always wanted to spear a fish.....

Early 70s ancient.:rofl3: Tell that to my 1958 Aquamaster. :)

Twinning the 72s is not a problem as long as you get the correct bands. They show up on ebay fairly often and there is a guy on ebay that makes and sell new ones. Never bought anything from him but some of my vintage buddies have and liked what they got....if they were not happy with them we would know it. :) If you want to go old school here are bands and harnesses. http://www.vintagedoublehose.com/st...ath=25&zenid=38281fd5e6a3acc360df0135bb6c638c

I recently got a pneumatic spear gun too. Funny thing is I had just got through making a new spear for a buddy of mine for his and had the new spear on my work bench. Be darned if someone offered me the same gun a couple of days later so I had an example of the spear in front of me. Now we both have them. Not sure what I am going to do with it but it does have a lot of cool factor- real James Bondish. Its one of the short pistol type with a leg holster. It on one side and a big knife on the other....now that is cool worthy of Mike Nelson.

I want a speargun, too!:depressed:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom