Just need some input on Dive Schools

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been reading the scuba boards now for a while and decided this is the best place to get some opinions and information.

I first started out years and years ago in the construction field and still do contract work now. When the construction industry took a crap years ago I went into the IT field. When I got divorced I burned out doing IT work and went into the oil field. Now I feel its time for a career change again. I miss traveling and the oceans, though I am an avid scuba diver with advanced open water.

Now, I've done my fair share of research on dive schools. But, I'm really just not able to narrow them down to the one I want to go to. My top 3 include Divers Academy International (I've heard they are just money hungry), The Ocean Corporation, and CDA Technical Institute. I Like CDA the best, I'm just unsure. So thats what I need some input on.

I wouldn't mind working on the oil rigs in the gulf or elsewhere, or just finding a commercial dive job outside the U.S.

More Info: I'm 29 years old, physically fit, and already have a TWIC card. I do a lot of welding and fabbing now, though I'm not AWS Certfied.

So please feel free and chime in on this, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced, Chris

Young's Memorial in Louisiana - cheapest available, will have you certified in 6 months and you will be in the middle of the commercial diving industry in the US. All those other places you listed will cost about $1,400.00, run about a year to graduate, waste your time, you have to fork out 6 additional months of rent..... etc.

I wouldn't mind working on the oil rigs in the gulf or elsewhere, or just finding a commercial dive job outside the U.S.

You should try to stay in the Gulf for school if you want to work in the Gulf. That way you can network and show up in person at various companies you're interested in working for while you are still in school. These companies get tons of resumes every month, you have a way better shot landing a job showing up in person with your gear ready to dive. I think the Young's Memorial school in LA was a good suggestion if that's your ultimate goal.

If you want to move out of the country and get a job internationally then make sure you go to a school that provides an education compliant with IMCA guidelines or you may find you need to go back to school after you graduate. Do your research, talk to US divers who dive internationally and international contractors. Make the best educated decision you can. Don't assume the cheapest and fastest or the most expensive and longest will get you what you need. Many US companies do government work internationally too. At least you can still live in the US but travel the globe. It might not be a bad idea to go to school out of the country if that's where you want to be.

And then, once you're all trained up and have spent tens of thousands of dollars to become a lean mean hard hat diving machine; there's an ad here on SB for golf ball divers! That's where the big money is at!

Diver Academy International ended up costing my kid about $26,000.00 in Jersey when it was all said and done. A whole LOT of money. Ultimately, he got a topside gig and has yet to use any of the stack of cert cards that they gave him. He works on rigs offshore - as a matter of fact that is there he is right now. I would strongly suggest that you work in the field a while before signing up for some very expensive training.

The Community College in Lousianna is the best/cheapest way to go. I went to DA in 1998. I was near the top of my class. When I got to my first job, I remember saying, "but, but, in school, they told us to do it this way." The super's response was... "we don't care what the phuck they taught you in school. Here you are going to do it the RIGHT way".

In my 15'ish years as a commercial diver, not a single company gave a rats arse where I went to school. In fact, they never even asked. They asked, "do you have a card". My response was yes. I got hired. If I didn't get hired, it had nothing to do with what school I attended.

Save your money, go the cheapest route you can.

The Community College in Lousianna is the best/cheapest way to go. I went to DA in 1998. I was near the top of my class. When I got to my first job, I remember saying, "but, but, in school, they told us to do it this way." The super's response was... "we don't care what the phuck they taught you in school. Here you are going to do it the RIGHT way".

In my 15'ish years as a commercial diver, not a single company gave a rats arse where I went to school. In fact, they never even asked. They asked, "do you have a card". My response was yes. I got hired. If I didn't get hired, it had nothing to do with what school I attended.

Save your money, go the cheapest route you can.

This is so true! Companies in the US only require that you have an ADCI card. If you want to work for a US company then saving your time and money would be wise! The only way it might benefit to go to any other school is if you want to get a job in that region, you can visit companies in the surrounding area but that doesn't necessarily mean you're guaranteed a job there. It's a risk at a higher cost. However, if you want to live and work outside the US then international companies require that you have an IMCA card. I don't think Young's Memorial would meet the parameters for IMCA certification. Albeit, I haven't looked in depth into any school's curriculum for many years! That's why I suggest to do some research based on what your long term goals are.

Also, diving is a fraction of the job. It's just a way to get to your jobsite. I would focus the money you save on getting an AWS cert and whatever other certs you can to show that at least you're capable of getting something done down there, and topside. The majority of the time you will be working on the surface. Get some alternative education and experience that will set you apart from other divers. No employer wants an inexperienced diver wasting bottom time or a guy topside that has no other skillsets than diving eating up all the company's profits.

I first started out years and years ago in the construction field and still do contract work now. When the construction industry took a crap years ago I went into the IT field. When I got divorced I burned out doing IT work and went into the oil field. ...I wouldn't mind working on the oil rigs in the gulf or elsewhere, or just finding a commercial dive job outside the U.S. ...So please feel free and chime in on this, it would be much appreciated.

Hi Chris; I wouldn't rule-out the Underwater Skills Program at Seneca College in King City (Ontario, Canada). They have a really good program which will provide you with a DCBC/IMCA ticket. One advantage is that the exchange rate on the USD is quite favorable (your money will go farther). Their entry requirements do however seem to be higher than the other schools. See: Underwater Skills - Seneca College - Toronto, Canada

Other than that, I'd go with the Ocean Corporation. In any regard, good luck. Your background will stand you in good stead for employment.

---------- Post added June 29th, 2013 at 11:37 AM ----------

I can only partially agree with this statement Superlyte. Certainly the school doesn't play a great role when it comes to someone like you with experience, but for the initial hire, I reviewed the CV pretty carefully. I separated the possibles and did another cut based on school and background. I short-listed the divers and interviewed them.

Most people doing the hiring have their preferences. I actually had a working relationship with some schools, where they were provided with a copy of our company's Diving Procedure's Manual in an effort to direct training in a complementary direction. If the school and the company are on the same wave length, it can benefit everyone. In-turn, Graduates from a particular school were more valued than others.

I suppose it's a bit like a certified recreational diver, I care more about the reputation of the Instructor and Agency than I do if they have a card or not. Like my Signature says on the bottom: "Competence is more important than a C-Card. A C-Card is no guarantee of competence."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom