Just got PADI OW certified, and a perforated eardrum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thrawn:
Yep, that's the one.

In other news. I returned to the Dr, ear is healing fine.... and he asked me when I'm going diving again! Anyways, I'm going to be using this
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/masks/proear.asp
next time. I plan to try them out within the next week.

I've been out 3 times (for a total of 7 dives over that period) with my Pro Ear mask. It works great. With a snorkle it pulls the ear-cup from that side and allows water in. Otherwise, water only ocassionally works its way into the ear-cups. I still have to equalize as normal... slow and steady decents and acents make for smooth dives.

Hi there-

I perforated my eardrum on my 9th or 10th logged dive- so I can empathize with you! The perforation was small and near the bottom end of the eardrum (away from the bones). After 6 weeks out of the water, it healed fine. My doctor and I determined that allergies were the likely culprit of the block, and I now take a 12 hour allergy medicine with Sudafed before diving. I also use Doc's Proplugs (those things are great!). More than 100 dives later, I've had no serious troubles with my ears. I suggest you see a doctor who has more experience with diving and get a second opinion. A perforated eardrum doesn't have to mean the end of diving!

Good luck!

My wife wants to dive, and tried it in the pool, but couldn't equalize. She went to an ENT and he told her to stay with snorkeling. Is this a common answer from physicians who are afriad they are going to get into trouble? My wife took it quite seriously and has written it off. Maybe she should get another opinion?

rdharbis1:
My wife wants to dive, and tried it in the pool, but couldn't equalize. She went to an ENT and he told her to stay with snorkeling. Is this a common answer from physicians who are afriad they are going to get into trouble? My wife took it quite seriously and has written it off. Maybe she should get another opinion?
Did the doctor know anything about diving? If you're going to get a second opinion I would suggest contacting DAN and getting a list of diving doctors in your area.

yipiekaya:
salt and caffeine retains water in the body making it take longe to heal the ruptured ear...

good luck.........

Not that it seems to be a big deal to this thread but salt and caffeine actually do the opposite...they act to make to body get rid of water.

Robert

Its relevancy is the same as before. Note that some of the "experts" quoted astonishingly do not understand how vented plugs work and have never even tried them, hence are incompetent to present a critique (Dekelboum and Hunter specifically).

Back
Top Bottom