Just got back from trip on Carpe Novo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shmuggy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I got back last Wednesday from a 10 day trip aboard the Carpe Novo, It was their first trip since Covid closed everything down. There were a lot of protocols in place on the way to the Maldives - on the boat- and then home.

I flew in on Qatar Air where everyone was issued a face shield. The airplane was very clean and the flight attendants wore PPE at all times. At the Doha airport every other seat was cordoned off and people were expected to keep their masks on. Upon arriving at the Maldives we walked by an official who took our temperature from a distance and then our ID was checked against our health declaration.

The Carpe Novo rep was there to greet us and we were taken to the boat. This may be different for you because we were the first group of people to go on the boat since March. Once on the dhoni we immediately began setting up our gear. Upon our arrival at the boat we learned the procedures to keep us safe from covid.
- we were divided into 2 groups and sat at different tables which allowed for distancing. These were also our dive groups
-our meals were served buffet style but served by the crew who wore masks. We did not touch the serving utensils. There was never an occasion where one diver needed to touch something another diver had touched.
-the rooms were made up every three days and the crew member wore fresh PPE upon entry into each room. Upon exiting our room, the PPE was discarded appropriately. When our rooms were done- a beautiful presentation was done using towel art. Even the guys on the boat thought it was cool.
-throughout the boat there were hand sanitizing stations and signage about proper covid precautions.

It was great to be back diving and you could tell the crew felt the same way- they are very cohesive and happy. They are an effective team. There were some challenging situations which they handled very well. I am embarassed to report that I caused some of the challenges but they were not only handled well- but also with professionalism and cheer. Three of the six divers in my group had back issues and we had some rough seas to contend with at the end of the dives and all of us were kept safe as we got back on the dhoni. Cameras were handled well and there were quite a few.

I was fortunate - all the other divers were not only great divers but good people. Some of them took some awesome photos and videos.

The food was great and there was lots of variety. It is amazing what the chef did in the galley and he was able to accomodate different palates. Now I have even more pounds to get off.

Agnes van Linden, one of the partners, was aboard the whole trip to see how the new procedures would work. Her love of the Maldives and concern for the crew and passengers was evident throughout the trip.

I already have another trip planned on the Carpe Diem fleet in January and am really pumped up about it. I know covid may have a lot of us down, but if you can- get out there and do it!

I highly recommend the Carpe Diem fleet.

I'm a big fan of the Carpe Diem company and procedures prior to the virus, the Carpe Vita and the crews that I have met during my visits. My dive buddy has also been on the Carpe Novo twice. I think she might have Agnes on speed dial.

@shmuggy : There have been reports of widespread coral bleaching in the Maldives. What were your observations on this trip?

It was great to be back diving and you could tell the crew felt the same way- they are very cohesive and happy. They are an effective team. There were some challenging situations which they handled very well. I am embarassed to report that I caused some of the challenges but they were not only handled well- but also with professionalism and cheer. Three of the six divers in my group had back issues and we had some rough seas to contend with at the end of the dives and all of us were kept safe as we got back on the dhoni. Cameras were handled well and there were quite a few.

That swim from the dhoni back to the Novo after the night dive was pretty epic, eh? Was a really fun trip. Hope to see you on another one sometime.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom