Just got back from the Bahamas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kramynot2000

Reaction score
Well I just got back from Paradise Island and the diving was great... at least for us cold water west coast divers. We went with Stuart's Cove which was a great operation. Day 1 we did a wall and then a DC-3. Day 2 we did another wall and a wreck called the Ray of Hope. Saw lots of sharks there. Day 3 (only three divers on the boat!) we did another wall and then a shallow dive called the Hollywood Bowl. Water was 87deg at 80 feet!

Anyway I took out my Oly 5060 for the first time and here are some pix:

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kramy...done=http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

They aren't real good and I found out that I really need to get a strobe. I already deleted most of my pictures that only had 1/2 a fish in the frame. But they'll give you an idea as to how the diving was. I can't wait to go back.

Hey you take pictures like me!!

Tim Ingersoll:
Hey you take pictures like me!!

I gotta admit, this picture taking is tough stuff! I have a video camera and that's easy... turn it on and then dive. With the camera, those dog gone fish just won't stay still long enough to get the pic to come out right. I'm sure glad I got a digital.

You brought back some good memories. The Ray of Hope was a relatively recent sinking. Also, that site was very near to where they do the shark feedings, so you were able to get lots of shark activity for the price of a normal dive. Thanks for posting the pictures--

I forgot-- When you go back, if you are interested in 'Macro' photography, ask for the Vulcan Bomber dive site. This is the set where they filmed a scene in 'Thunderball', where a bomber sinks in the ocean. All that is left of the plane now is a structure that looks like a large 'jungle jim' playground set. However, the structure is home to a great variety of colorful invertebrates. I saw somewhere that it was rated one of the top 5 Macro sites in the Caribbean --- FWIW

Oh, i can't wait to go myself that sounds like tons of fun there. I'll be going there at the end of Nov. for 1 week..i can't wait. you're picture are pretty good...i also can't take good pictures but that's cause i'm a newbie at U/W photo.

If you go, ask to dive the Ray of Hope. Its a nice simple wreck with another wreck nearby. Also, as has been pointed out, there were a TON of sharks there. Some as long as 5-6'... I think.

I really love wrecks so at the Ray of Hope I took lots of pictures. There was another wreck nearby but when I stopped taking pix and looked for the rest of the group, they were already gone and I didnt' know where the other wreck was. It was no big deal cause they were coming back since we were tied up on the Ray of Hope so my wife and I were alone on the wreck just looking around. All of a sudden I saw sharks.... lots of them. I found out later they were the Carribean Reef shark and there must have been at least 25 or so just swimming near by. Of course I was a little nervous cause I had no idea what type of sharks they were or if they were aggressive or not and we were all alone.

Anyway, I don't know why... but we swam over to the wreck and went behind the railing on the deck to watch the show. I guess there was some level of comfort being behind the rail but since the boat was on the bottom of the ocean, it didn't offer that much protection.

What also was cool was doing a blue water hang at 15' on our safety stop over the sharks. I got one pretty good picture of them while I was hanging.

The other wreck nearby is the 'Bahama Mama' -- a collapsing 'Booze Cruise' boat--you didn't miss anything. In fact, the 'Ray of Hope' was sunk in this area, because the Bahama Mama was falling apart. The ROH is an enjoyable penetration. You start low in the open cargo hold, then swim up at least two levels, winding up a stairway, going down hallways, and through the wheelhouse. Of course, don't penetrate unless you have wreck training, and a guide the first time through.

scubabamatxn:
The other wreck nearby is the 'Bahama Mama'....

That was it. I'm glad I didnt' miss anything.

And you're right, no penetration... just a minor swimthrough of the wheelhouse in the light zone. I saw a dark stairway going down from the wheelhouse, which I guess you must have gone through, and I was just wishing I had my 18w HID, set of doubles, and reel or a guide! Anyways, great wreck, I can't wait to go back!

Thanks Tony for that info. I can wait to go, i'm so excited. I'm hoping to be able to get some good shots of sharks.

Back
Top Bottom