Just got back from Costa Rica - AWESOME!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tigerdiver

Reaction score
I just got back from Costa Rica and it was fantastic. This was my first diving experience since OW certification and what a way to get started. We went to the Drake Bay Wilderness Resort and it was great.

Our D/M was a freelance marine biologist who specializes in dolphins and whales as was a wealth of information. Lots of good food and many other activities besides diving. We saw LOTS of fish! Saw numerous white-tip reef sharks, lobster, morays and about 200 other species I had no clue what they were. (I'm buying a fish indentification book ASAP.) We swam with a school of 50-60 Amberjack and another school of yellow fin tuna at about 50 ft. Vis was 50 ft with a 10-15 degree thermocline at about 65 ft.

Well, I knew that I was going to love diving but this really seals the deal. Can't wait to go back.

Please tell us more! Any night dives? What sites did you get to? How was the plane ride in? What sort of nightlife? More, more, more....:)

Thanks,
RedRover

I don't mean to butt in, but I will! I just got back from Costa Rica myself. I live in Miami so the flight was pretty short and sweet. Flew Lacsa (part of TACA Group). No problems, just standard security mumbo jumbo.

We dove in an area close to Playa Tambor which is on the pacific side on the Nicoya Peninsula. We dove at Tortuga Island. It was about a 70ft dive. The vis was not great but the marine life was VERY abundant. The current was not too bad since you are surrounded by many different rock formations.

We did see a Sea Turtle, that was definately the highlight. When we surfaced we also saw Manta Reys jumping. I didn't know why they were doing that, but it looked very interesting. We also saw some dolfin on the way back to the beach.

We dove with an operation called Cabo Blanco, our divemaster was called Cristiano. Intersteing gentleman, he was Italian and lived in Austrailia for about 10 years and now Costa Rica for about 5 years.

I didn't have the underwater camera (just bought it after that trip) so I can't show any pictures. The diving is different in that it was allot of Volcano rock formations. There was not allot of Corals but many fish, creatures and critters. Overall, we had a really great time. Loved the place and the people. We drove everywhere we went and I can tell you that you WILL need a 4x4. We had the Diahatsu Terios and I thought it would never make it. By the end of the trip that little vehicle earned my respect. We had to cross a river that was about 75 yards accross anb about 4 feet deep and it made it. If you plan on driving, you had better be prepared for an adventure! It is mostly dirt 1 lane dirt roads through mountains and cliffs. We loved it!

Regards,
Joe Shook

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom