Just got back from Cairns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cheezbay

Registered
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I just got back from diving the GBR in Cairns and thought I would give an update. I did a 3 day/2 night liveaboard through Down Under Dive. Although they are one of the cheapest dive operators in the area I think they are one of the best. They are the biggest operator in Cairns.

The first day we were picked up at the backpacker we were staying at. We left in their supercat and went to Leslie reef where we did our first dive of the day. After lunch we met up with the Atlantic Clipper (big sail boat) and moved over to it to spend the rest of our time. We did 3 dives a day off of this boat. We were supposed to do night dives, but the sea was too rough and they didn't want to chance losing anyone. We were able to dive at Norman, Saxon, and Hasting reefs from this boat. We would sail to a new reef everyday after breakfast.

The diving was fantastic. I was able to see rays, napolean wrasse, clown fish, lion fish, cuttle fish, and even white tip reef sharks. The crew on the boat was extremely friendly and were very experienced. Jamie, the dive coordinator, was awesome and he did everything he could to make our trip the best it could be. I recommend Down Under Dive to anyone who would enjoy diving on the GBR. You can do trips with them for as long or short amount of time you would like. Good luck diving everyone.

This might be a possibility for us, we are thinking about going to Cairns and doing day trips to the Coral Sea. Were there alot of boats to choose from or did you find that Port Douglas was a better spot for liveaboards? Was the water temps very warm, I'm thinking of doing this trip in the end of June. Have you been diving other areas before diving on the GBR, I see your from Okla. what would you compare the diving to? We have been to the Red Sea and the Indian Ocean, as well as many areas in the Carribean but we have not as of yet traveled to the Pacific and wodered how it compares.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Well I did my diving through Down Under Dive which is in Cairns. I haven't been un to Port Douglas. As for doing day trips to the Coral Sea, you can count that out. The only trips there are 4+ day liveaboards. I really can't compare the diving to anything much. I have only done lake dives in the US before. Others on the boat had been diving in places like the Red Sea, Caribbean, etc. and they really enjoyed the diving here too. I would really recommend doing a liveaboard if you want to get the most diving in. Doing day trips, you will only get 2 dives in a day. On a liveaboard you should be able to get at least 4 in. The water temps, to me, were great, though some people from this area were complaining that they were a little chilly. They were probably around 75 F. We just wore shorty 3mil wetsuits and it was fine. Hope you have a great trip.

I actually did my first 2 dives in Cairns at the GBR. Thats what got me hooked.

We were initially just going out to snorkel, but they had the Intro Dive. As I said I did 2 intro dives, and just loved it. Everything was so beautiful, and I was overwhelmed by the sensation of Diving.

I came back to Perth, and enrolled in the Open Water Course, and got certified.

It was such a great trip to Cairns, I just love it there. I went Bungee Jumping the day before, then the following day, went skydiving, then hopped on the boat to go to the Reef, and dove.

What a Great Expirience!:mean:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom