Just got another call for recovery assistance.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This year needs to stop, back-up and start all over again.

I just got a call from a very close friend from Southern Idaho. He needs our help, possibly in the next week or so, searching roughly a 2 or three square mile area for a missing sail boater in a lake to the north of us. The lake is normally clear but the area might be in the 500’ depth range.

When the SS gets here I will most likely be headed up there to assist him. It’s the same guy and his wife that originally found Lacey Peterson (sp).

He just found #5 for the year and we just got #6. Bad, bad year.

Here is a sat pic of the area. It is a best guess area at best. Zoom out and see the entire Priest Lake area. http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=14&x=159&y=1681&z=11&w=1

More later as it surfaces.

Gary D.

Chuck Tribolet:
Huh? While the local PSDs spent a lot of time looking,
Lacey Peterson was found on the shoreline by someone
walking their dog (actually, by the dog, according to news
reports).

I believe they were looking for evidence related to the murder that was still submurged.

What are the costs of a search like this and who pays for it?

Chuck Tribolet:
Huh? While the local PSDs spent a lot of time looking,
Lacey Peterson was found on the shoreline by someone
walking their dog (actually, by the dog, according to news
reports).
There is a lot that went on prior to her being found. That info can not be released yet as the case is still going on. Someday, hopefully soon, the details of the search will be released.

But I will say the SS was a valuable tool prior to her being found.

Gary D.

Okay Gary! I hope you are happy now. I think you have just become the envy of every PSD on the site with the SS Sonar. We use an inexpensive Sonar of the fish finder variety and in certain conditions, I have been able to identify objects on the bottom. I would love to have a side scan system. Based on available budgets, I will NEVER see one in my lifetime.

Put it to good use and save the wear and tear on the dive team!

Boater Dan:
Okay Gary! I hope you are happy now. I think you have just become the envy of every PSD on the site with the SS Sonar. We use an inexpensive Sonar of the fish finder variety and in certain conditions, I have been able to identify objects on the bottom. I would love to have a side scan system. Based on available budgets, I will NEVER see one in my lifetime.

Put it to good use and save the wear and tear on the dive team!
Gene and Sandy have been one of the most wonderful couples on this planet. All they ask for is to help paying expenses, which can be quite high with the price of fuel these days.

We have spent a lot of time with them and the Marine Sonic rep, who just happens to be an ex-Navy diver so we kind of gelled. I am having a hard time finding a better unit that I can get comfortable with.

The way we are getting one is basically a co-op. Everyone chips in to purchase the unit. Then when, not if, it is needed we will bring it and staff it. If who ever requests it can afford it we would like expenses picked up. But if they can’t, they can’t and we will still be there.

We are looking at 150K to get going. But divide that figure between several agencies and it’s affordable.

It has been a long battle but there is light at the end of the tunnel as we speak.

The department wants to do everything they can to improve on our 100% safety record. Nobody can remember a single lost time accident involving the team in over 30 years. They feel with our volume of calls this is the best way to go. I have to agree.

Gene and Sandy just got a new tow rig and won’t tell me what he got until he pulls up to his power outlet in the yard. It must be a pusher motor home. But I don’t have a clue.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom