Just got a new Analox o2eii Pro and have a sensor question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JJR

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
First-time owner of an O2 analyzer, and going through the manual I saw the following: "Take the O2EII Pro and oxygen sensor, carefully cut open the bag to obtain the sensor and allow the sensor to settle for 24hrs prior to use".

Is it really needed to expose the o2 sensor for 24 hours before installing it in the analyzer? I thought the idea was to minimize exposure as much as possible to extend the life of the sensor.

I thought the idea was to minimize exposure as much as possible to extend the life of the sensor.
Correct,,,,,but for a different reason.

Most O2 sensor manufacturer's 'displace' all the O2 in the bag (ie 21%) and fill the bag with 100% nitrogen (cheapest gas). The O2 is what consumes the metal sensor. But by not having O2 in the shipping bag the metal sensor needs to stabilize as the air's O2 (21%) reacts with it. 24hrs just helps the new metal sensor become 'seasoned" Like using a new skillet several times before the food starts to taste 'right'.

PS, Most do this also in every potato chips bag and remove the 21% O2.

Correct,,,,,but for a different reason.

Most O2 sensor manufacturer's 'displace' all the O2 in the bag (ie 21%) and fill the bag with 100% nitrogen (cheapest gas). The O2 is what consumes the metal sensor. But by not having O2 in the shipping bag the metal sensor needs to stabilize as the air's O2 (21%) reacts with it. 24hrs just helps the new metal sensor become 'seasoned" Like using a new skillet several times before the food starts to taste 'right'.

PS, Most do this also in every potato chips bag and remove the 21% O2.
That's a great explanation. Thank you @Johnoly. Makes perfect sense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom