Just finished DIRF...diet question...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I don't think I fit the image of, to paraphrase an old GI post off techdiver, a "STROKES, FAT SLOBS WITH PIZZA STAINED DORIA SHIRTS AND CAPTAINS HATS ON HAND", but do you really follow the dietary and exercise guidelines and consider anyone who doesn't to be non-DIR and a bad choice as a buddy? I run 10 miles a week and mountain bike when I can't get wet, but I will eat Taco Bell or McDonalds once a week or so (I figure the hell with it...I am 5'10" and 155 lbs).

From page 113 referring to Technical Divers, "Fatty foods, what one would typically find at a fast-food restaurant, do not factor into their diet".

IMHO, most of the DIR stuff makes sense, but majority of us are not professional athletes and are not doing the types of dives the WKPP do and do not need that high a level of physical and mental conditioning. It is a good concept, but does not, IMHO, need to be taken literally for most divers (i.e. good general fitness is good, being a fat slob bad).

Would it be safer if I was as physically fit as an Olympic athlete? Probably, given what we know about DCS and general conditioning as it pertains to diving. Am I doing dives where that would make a difference? Probably not...and I bet majority on this board are not either.

For the 'skinny' on this just ask George what he has had sent to him in the troughs or habitat during deco. That guy will eat anything in site. He is in good shape as he should be for the big dive....His support people are not and this includes the 'deep support' and 'long range gas divers'. See how many of them could even pass the GUE swim tests (which are not that 'physical'). JJ has also been known to 'carry a little extra now and then'. So its not and end all be all of tech diving to be 100% lean and have no body fat etc. Now it is important to keep in decent/good shape depending on your definition. (If you wind by walking up a flight of stairs quit tech diving)...But in no way do you have to be an 'athlete'. BMI's don't work to well as do other methods....simplest is that you can be honest with yourself and do an 'internal' evaluation.

There are some good guidelines like the min 20min workout 5 times week and lets be honest, most of us can afford 20min+ a day.....put the candy bar down and skip the extra conversation at the coffee machine and there you go ;0)

The mental conditioning is another story. This needs to be sharp, especially on 'small' dives where we wouldn't expect anthing to be a 'big deal'. Murphy loves these.

Originally posted by O-ring
I don't think I fit the image of, to paraphrase an old GI post off techdiver, a "STROKES, FAT SLOBS WITH PIZZA STAINED DORIA SHIRTS AND CAPTAINS HATS ON HAND",

From page 113 referring to Technical Divers, "Fatty foods, what one would typically find at a fast-food restaurant, do not factor into their diet".

IMHO, most of the DIR stuff makes sense, but majority of us are not professional athletes and are not doing the types of dives the WKPP do and do not need that high a level of physical and mental conditioning.

Just curious how literal some DIR fundies took it...

I have always found vegan's to be a little obsessive. I amuse myself by asking them if they have had their wisdom and incisor teeth removed as well.

The important aspect is being in good physical shape. With GOOD cardiovascular conditioning.

omar

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom