Just did my drysuit speciality but my hands got cold

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kellykins

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey Hey!
After 4 years since my open water cert, I did my drysuit orientation in a quarry! So fun! Must admit, I was scared, it was very green :).
Just thought I'd share :). Doing my advanced at the end of the month.
It was well cold...! Especially for my hands, any ideas on how to keep them warmer in cold water diving?

Cheers
K

It was well cold...! Especially for my hands, any ideas on how to keep them warmer in cold water diving?
Congrats!

You might give dry gloves a try.

Dry gloves?

---------- Post added January 4th, 2013 at 12:51 AM ----------

Oh I think it's because i had super thing gloves...need to buy 5mm ones I think!

Drygloves are rubber or neoprene gloves that attach to rings on your drysuit so they completely seal off your hands from the water. Under the drygloves, I wear a set of polartec thin gloves I bought from Cabelas versus the standard dryglove liners.

Congrats!

The more dives you do in green water the more comfortable you will get with them. There comes a point 2 feet of vis is no big deal, and it teaches to rely on your compass heavily.

Did you buy your own drysuit or are you renting? Are you thinking of purchasing your own drysuit?

I have been using dry gloves for years, and can't imagine going back to a wet glove. A flooded dry glove is warmer than a wet glove. Since my hands are warm and the dry glove with liner is thinner than 5mm I have more dexterity too.

All about dry gloves. Just finished my Drysuit Specialty as well and will be looking to get dry gloves when I do buy a suit.

Agree with Peter C -- a wet dry glove is warmer than a wet glove! Dry gloves are the only thing that lets me dive in the wintertime, here in the PNW.

I use 5mm Henderson Aqualock gloves when diving in the Quarry. After a 50 minute dive my hands were cold, but not that bad at all. It all depends on what you can tolerate. 5mm gloves is probably the largest I will go simply because of dexterity. Congrats on the drysuit dive! It's a blast.

I rented. Well I'm doing my training at cost rate with a instructor friend, so he lent me his. It was too big, but it didn't leak...will be doing my AOW and rescue in a wet suit...but may chicken out and rent a dry...!!!
Need to buy warm gloves, the ones I used were thin ones, so maybe that's why...will look into dry gloves :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom