Just curious-Do you fill your own tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverDAD!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
How many divers have a compressor and fill their own tanks?

Myself and 2 other dive buddies were discussing the possibility of doing this, and I was wondering if it's common.

Thanks.

Not real common, but not out of the realm of possibility either.

It is not a way to ever save money as aquisition costs a re high and maintenece is not high, but it is not free either. But owning your own compressor can add a great deal of convenience - and you can always get good fills.

For example I lived about 50 minutes from the nearest dive shop, and my boat was slipped abotu 30 minutes away. It was not really an issue until the shop changed ownership and adopted horrible hours that basically prevented anyone living and working out of the immediate area from getting a fill any time other than Saturday between 9am and 2pm - prime diving time, and they would not guarentee they'd get to your tanks immediately either.

In that case, spending a couple thousand dollars on a used/rebuilt portable compressor to put on the boat made perfect sense just to allow more diving and less driving/waiting around.

Here in VA it does not any real sense as shop hours are pretty accomodating and gas is available at or near many of the dive sites.

We couldn't get nitrox locally, so purchasing a 10cfm compressor, off of ebay, from a dive shop that closed filled the void. We got a steal on the compressor, and the 4x 4500# banks were only $75 each. Purchased all the hoses and fittings for another $100. Throw in a few more hundred dollars and we now bank 32% :)

Our local dive shops do not have much we use since they do not sell Hogarthian type gear.

I have pumped 95% of the gas I have used. I worked in a dive shop. :) Of course I pumped most of the gas used in that shop.

As mentioned, its more for convenience then cost savings. But is it worth it? It was the correct decision for me.

I have shops that are close to me, one is less then 5 miles away. But I use trimix for most dives and for that I would have to drive 25 miles each way. This was not worth the effort, right across town and usually during rush hour. Plus the cost of filling one O2 bottle and one of trimix was starting to cost. Mind you these are only 19cf bottles for a rebreather.

I have had a compressor for 10yrs. added 2 large bottles of O2 along with a single large bottle of helium. Friday I received a haskel AG-30 booster from High Pressure Technologies and now I'm in "home fill heaven." I can top up my O2 bottles and mix trimix getting the most out of the large bottle of helium.

Good luck in what ever direction you decide to go.

Al

I've been pumping my own gas and mixing my own Nitrox for almost 2 years. I'll be adding Trimix this year. Locally, I could only get AL80s filled with air at a containment system at fire department 30 minutes away. In order to get Nitrox or double fills, I had to drive 8 hours. It was either get my own compressor or dive only once a year on vacation.

You'll find that most divers who own a compressor do so for convenience.. You can't run your own compressor to save money, it's a money pit.

Getting your own compressor up and running can be easy if you're just pumping air. Adding Nitrox or 100% O2 capabilities greatly complicates the entire process.

3889.jpg

So what is the cost to do this? A grand, 5K? Just curious as I thought a new compressor would be 10's of thousands but I've never really priced them.

So what is the cost to do this? A grand, 5K? Just curious as I thought a new compressor would be 10's of thousands but I've never really priced them.

A decent, new air compressor alone would be about $5,000. Add in storage banks, Nitrox/O2 capabilities, etc....add $2K to $3K more.

I have been pumping my air for 40+ years. Cost depends on what you want. If it is just air and you direct fill off the compressor than cost can start at several hundred dollars for a used compressor or $2500 to $3000 for a new compressor.
Adding in storage banks and mixing capability can drive the cost up significantly so there is no one easy answer to cost.
The main advantage to owning a compress is convenience not saving money on fills.

Happiness is your own fill station.

Not cheap, but if you factor in all the trips to a commercial fill station you won't be making, and the value of your time and the costs of travel, it's a lot easier to justify.

If you need "other than air" fills it's often the only reasonable alternative.

If you go down this path educate yourself about proper filtration.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom