Just certified and looking for dive buddies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

murdrcycle

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I am looking for dive buddies in and around the St. Louis area. I would really like to get down to Mermet, Cerulean, or anywhere relatively close (day trip) sometime within the next few weeks. Preferably someplace that rents gear.

Welcome. As a midwest diver, your first purchase should be a drysuit. I would recommend taking a drysuit class. Winter diving here is great because the cold scares off the crowds. We dive at least once a week and make it to Mermet about every two weeks. You are welcome to come along. My shop rents gear or you can rent it at Mermet. Keep an eye on this forum or call me at my cell if you want to go. 314-608-1699.

Bill

I am looking for dive buddies in and around the St. Louis area. I would really like to get down to Mermet, Cerulean, or anywhere relatively close (day trip) sometime within the next few weeks. Preferably someplace that rents gear.

Thanks for the offer and advice - what is your shop?

A drysuit is nice, but for starters I think I'd go with a good 7mm wetsuit. If you become serious about diving a drysuit is needed, even in the Summer places like Table Rock and Beaver Lake get pretty cool down deep. I typically dive a drysuit most of the year for what it's worth.

I find my reasons for diving in the Winter to be more in line with the visibility is much nicer. I enjoy the company of others so the Winter is a bit lonely for me.

Thanks for the offer and advice - what is your shop?

I work for an independent instructor in St. Louis. He has all the rental gear you ever would need, but doesn't sell gear. All he does is teach. BellyUp Diving - Scuba Instruction, Birthday Parties, and Snorkling

A drysuit is nice, but for starters I think I'd go with a good 7mm wetsuit. If you become serious about diving a drysuit is needed, even in the Summer places like Table Rock and Beaver Lake get pretty cool down deep. I typically dive a drysuit most of the year for what it's worth.

I find my reasons for diving in the Winter to be more in line with the visibility is much nicer. I enjoy the company of others so the Winter is a bit lonely for me.

Matt, I am going to be heading down there (table rock) this winter. We should definitely do some diving. I will PM you in the next month or so.

Bill

Sounds fun to me, I recall last year where I had ice growing on my drysuit while out there. I was comfortable except for the face, boy was that frozen over. Once in the water it warmed up and I was good to go but I didn't care about the SI stuff.

Let me know, I think my thumb will be healed up shortly and I'll be back to diving soon enough. It got hurt pretty bad last Monday, but it's getting better.

Great suggestion Bill.

Dry suit class.....well, it just so happens that October 6th-7th is the weekend that DUI has their dry suit test diver session at Mermet Springs in Metropolis, Illinois. See if any members are planning to attend so you can buddy up with someone, maybe it will be more fun that way.

If you know nothing about them, I would strongly suggest attending this event to learn a little and at least get fitted for one so you can take a test dive if you think you might be interested in dry diving. Where else can you dive someone elses suits all day long, get free lunch, and a free hat for under $15 per day as long as you have your gear and air. Bring your OW card.
DUI DOG Rally & Demo Days - Main Information Page

Diving dry is an investment, so dive suits if you can before you buy. You want to be comfy and have a reliable product. Get feedback from divers who dive dry and be sure you get feedback on different brands.

If you go to DUI days at Mermet, go on Sunday. Saturday is a madhouse!

Has anyone heard about Cerulean Closing? I heard a rumor that this might be their last year. They haven't been getting the business they used to, and the vis supposedly isn't what it used to could.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom