just bull sharks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ben@scorpiodivers.com

Contributor
Reaction score
i really hope these photos upload as i am the #1 computer retard but here are a few snaps of bull sharks just a few hundred meters of the beach of playa del carmen, the photos were taken on thursday 9th april when i took 5 divers from cancun due to the port been closed. april is unusually late to still see bull sharks in the area, the normal season is late nov to early march. on the two dives we saw a total of 14 sharks from 5-7ft, very close encounters, pure adrenaline and a photographers paradise! both dives we re deeper than planned at 90ft, usually 70 to 80 is fine and we did not feed the sharks, the water is still cool at 70f so this is one reason the sharks are still around, the other reason is the feeding.
i dont want to start a big discussion about feeding etc... i just want you guys to know this is an amazing opportunity to get these close on shots of such beautiful animals....
please if my photos dont upload can someone give me step by step, foolproof instructions :D
cheers guys!

Attachments

• P4090487.jpg
    P4090487.jpg
    354.6 KB · Views: 252
  • P4090501.jpg
    P4090501.jpg
    369 KB · Views: 190
  • P4090497.jpg
    P4090497.jpg
    378.7 KB · Views: 165
It's always a treat to see sharks... when they just happen to show up. A little concerning when they start hanging around an area looking for snacks. Hope the shops that are doing the feedings have a good understanding of what they're getting into.

Dive shops that encourage Bull sharks to associate people with food is about as brilliant as the genius from Coca-Cola who changed their recipe and label in the 80's. I sure hope those bulls stay away from Coz!

Ben is correct that this is an amazing opportunity to see these beautiful animals. I know that shark feeding has been successful in other places but I don't think bulls were the main shark there. I wonder just how it will turn out. I am sure they will keep feeding them over there until there is a problem. Then they will probably want to go out and kill all the sharks because someone got hurt. I don't know what shops are doing it over there. I can only hope that if an accident happens involving a diver that bull sharks don't get more bad press then they already have. The more people that can have positive experiences with sharks the more likely they will be to want to protect them in some way in the future.

They truly are an amazing and awe inspiring creature. You got lucky and now have mny envy :D. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Nice pix

Ben is correct that this is an amazing opportunity to see these beautiful animals. I know that shark feeding has been successful in other places but I don't think bulls were the main shark there. I wonder just how it will turn out. I am sure they will keep feeding them over there until there is a problem. Then they will probably want to go out and kill all the sharks because someone got hurt. I don't know what shops are doing it over there. I can only hope that if an accident happens involving a diver that bull sharks don't get more bad press then they already have. The more people that can have positive experiences with sharks the more likely they will be to want to protect them in some way in the future.

If you go through your logic you eventually come to "Don't Feed The Sharks". I wish it were true that the motive for this activity was conservation of the marine environment but I don't think so. There is no "successful" shark feeding unless you're in it for a few bucks. The sharks don't need the handouts and the $$$ the purveyors of these events get comes at the risk, and possibly expense as you suggest, of the diving population who pay to watch these things like an underwater circus act. Of course, sharks are beautiful and exciting to see but anyone who artificially offers food to them is just selling an artificial experience. Personally, I would welcome seeing anything the ocean has to offer as long as it was experiencing nature as it really is. Shark feeding is just entertainment, in my opinion, for the financial benefit of those who promote this experience. It's not done for experiencing real nature any more than showing circus bears dancing in the ring describes life in Yosemite. It's done simply for the money it brings. And it will continue until some diver gets hurt. Off my soapbox now. I'm grumpy just thinking about this so methinks it's time for a pre-nocturnal libation and then it's off to bed. :D

Last edited:
The OP specifically stated that he did not want to start a feeding discussion, please adhere to his request and start a new thread if you have to discuss it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom